Red Dead Redemption

Steve

Anyone picked this up? I know Ryan's got it, cos we're gonna form a 2 man DV posse and pop some caps in asses. It'll kind be like The Lone Ranger and Tonto, cos I couldn't understand a fucking word that Tonto said either. lol.

Fucking great game though. The single player is fantastic and the world is huge.

Is it really that good? I loved it when it was a shooter but was kinda unsure about buying it as a western GTA... Esp since I played the last GTA for a whopping 15 mins.

I know Ryan loves GTA IV, but I just couldn't get into it. I have a grand total of 5 achievement points from that game, so you can tell how little I played it. I was worried that this might be GTA in the Wild West, therefore I'd play it for an hour and hate it, but I did 6 hours straight on it last night and if the weather wasn't so nice today, I'd have been playing it again.

Weird thing is, it IS really GTA IV in the Wild West, yet I think this is one of the best games I've played. In GTA IV, I didn't enjoy travelling around. The driving didn't feel very good and you were just getting from A to B. In RDR, you're on horseback travelling across a huge open world, so you don't have to keep to the tracks. You can stop along the way to hunt and skin animals to earn some money. You can find collectible items. Also, sometimes you'll run across a side mission or a person that needs help.

I'm finding it a lot more fun than GTA IV. There also seems to be more freedom with moral choices in this game. You can be a good guy, a complete arsehole, or anything in between. There's so much to do that you can find yourself playing for ages without doing any of the actual story related stuff. They've also improved the game engine compared to GTA IV, so this looks nicer. The 360 version looks and performs a bit better than the PS3 version, and it loads faster too (once installed to the hard drive), so if you have a choice, I'd get it on the 360, although it's not like the PS3 version is broken or anything like that.

I know Ryan loves GTA IV, but I just couldn't get into it. I have a grand total of 5 achievement points from that game, so you can tell how little I played it. I was worried that this might be GTA in the Wild West, therefore I'd play it for an hour and hate it, but I did 6 hours straight on it last night and if the weather wasn't so nice today, I'd have been playing it again.

Weird thing is, it IS really GTA IV in the Wild West, yet I think this is one of the best games I've played. In GTA IV, I didn't enjoy travelling around. The driving didn't feel very good and you were just getting from A to B. In RDR, you're on horseback travelling across a huge open world, so you don't have to keep to the tracks. You can stop along the way to hunt and skin animals to earn some money. You can find collectible items. Also, sometimes you'll run across a side mission or a person that needs help.

I'm finding it a lot more fun than GTA IV. There also seems to be more freedom with moral choices in this game. You can be a good guy, a complete arsehole, or anything in between. There's so much to do that you can find yourself playing for ages without doing any of the actual story related stuff. They've also improved the game engine compared to GTA IV, so this looks nicer. The 360 version looks and performs a bit better than the PS3 version, and it loads faster too (once installed to the hard drive), so if you have a choice, I'd get it on the 360, although it's not like the PS3 version is broken or anything like that.

yeah i was thinking of getting this as an alternative to modern warfare... something i can play when im like hung over or whatever coz i just get cained when im hungover... only heard good things about this game!

i love it, it pisses all over alan wake or lost planet 2 as well. i hope they can iron some of the glitches out as they go, but with everything else considered it's still one of the best games i've played on 360.

Guest broke

I was given a copy last week but I haven't played it yet... still have to finish 10th prestige on MW2 before I look at another game

I was given a copy last week but I haven't played it yet... still have to finish 10th prestige on MW2 before I look at another game

OMG... You're one of them :p

steve, is it really better on 360??? seems counter to logic.

I want to get this but gonna wait for the price to come down... And b/c I have a number of games I still haven't played yet since I keep getting sucked back into COD

steve, is it really better on 360??? seems counter to logic.

Lots of games are mate. The PS3 shines with exclusives, but when dev teams can't concentrate on just that platform, they have more trouble getting the 2 versions equal with each other. Here's a summary of the sites that do comparisons: -

http://misterslimm.wordpress.com/360-vs-ps3/xbox-360-vs-ps3-head-to-head-face-off-results/

RDR runs at 720p on the 360 with 2 x anti-aliasing. On the PS3, it runs at 640p with a blur filter. The framerate is more solid on the 360 too. In still images, the most noticeable difference is the way the foliage has been cut back on the PS3 version (look at these in full screen view): -

360: -

http://pds18.egloos.com/pds/201005/19/09/a0037809_4bf3506b5130c.jpg

PS3: -

http://pds18.egloos.com/pds/201005/19/09/a0037809_4bf35072760d2.jpg

360: -

http://pds20.egloos.com/pds/201005/19/09/a0037809_4bf350a3500ab.jpg

PS3: -

http://pds20.egloos.com/pds/201005/19/09/a0037809_4bf350ab7f67f.jpg

It's not a complete balls up on the PS3, so if you've got friends on there that you'd rather play with compared to Live, just get the PS3 version, but it's noticeably worse in terms of visuals and it takes twice as long to load.

Oh yeah - I played some online with Ryan earlier. We played a private game with just the 2 of us in the world, but there's non-player characters around too. It's a good laugh. I immediately shot his horse dead and we had a bit of a scrap, then we got it together and went around basically killing everyone in sight and raiding enemy hideouts, then we had a fist fight, threw some knives at each other, we got on a horse and cart and rode it down a valley until it was fucked etc. etc. There's a lot of stuff to do, but it's a shame that the towns aren't fully populated in the multiplayer mode. This game would be amazing if it was an MMO, so you could have a few hundred real players populating the world and forming posses, but unfortunately it's limited to 16 players (plus the many NPCs).

Wow that is a big diff... What about if my 360 doesn't have HDMI? Obviously the foliage will still be cut back...

I just worry that my 360 will crap out and also I don't pay for the online anymore.

The game should look the same through component on the 360. If I was you though, I'd just get it on the PS3 unless you have other reasons to pay for Live or you want to have a game with me and Ryan. Personally I'll buy a game where my friends are playing, unless the differences are huge, which in this case they're not.

I'd rather play with you and Ryan but its just hard to hook up b/c of the time... like I said, I'm gonna wait for the price to drop and whatever I find is what I'll buy

I'm about at all hours man, and so is Ryan from what I've seen. If you ain't got mates to play it with on the PS3, then get a Live sub and a copy of the game and you can join our posse. You've already got the boots for it.

Fuck this board i just typed more than i ever have on here then when i hit add reply the page lagged out and everything vanished.. Cunt!

Anyway. amazing game single player and multiplayer. just a shame you need to be level 50 before you can use expert aiming. The game modes suck ass when you have a bunch of n00bs auto aiming the shit out of you. Its fine though ranking up in free roam is fun

STEVE SHOT MY FUCKING HORSE IN THE HEAD!!!

I'm about at all hours man, and so is Ryan from what I've seen. If you ain't got mates to play it with on the PS3, then get a Live sub and a copy of the game and you can join our posse. You've already got the boots for it.

LOL..

I probably will do that... Lemme know if yall get tired of it tho b/c I don't want to buy it if you end up quitting next week!

Fuck this board i just typed more than i ever have on here then when i hit add reply the page lagged out and everything vanished.. Cunt!

Anyway. amazing game single player and multiplayer. just a shame you need to be level 50 before you can use expert aiming. The game modes suck ass when you have a bunch of n00bs auto aiming the shit out of you. Its fine though ranking up in free roam is fun

STEVE SHOT MY FUCKING HORSE IN THE HEAD!!!

this is one of my favorite replies ever.

I want to get this, but I reallz cant be arsed to get the german version, i also cant be arsed getting monez sent over to the UK to have it posted.

Is it possible to work out whats going on or do zou need an explanation of everzthing ? I dont want to get stuck on a quest and not know how to get past it while the guz is shouting "I should use a rope to climb over this" or something

just realised had mz kezboard set to german so the yz are swapped... cant be arsed changing it >(

Steve: have you done any of the Master Hunter challenges yet? they're fuckin great fun. Alot of traveling to do though. You really get to see the whole map.. well kinda

@Pete - The UK version has English, German, French, Spanish and Italian languages, so it could be that there's just 1 version for Europe and it defaults to whichever language your 360 is set to. Ask a local game retailer to be sure though.

@Ryan - Not yet. I've started some, but I've been doing little bits and pieces of various challenges without completing that many.

I'll definitely be up for playing through those new co-op missions with you and anyone else here that wants to get in on it.

I'm still not 100% sold on the multiplayer, although that's based on our game session the other night. I know there's other modes as well, which I'm yet to try. The free roam just feels a bit too spread out and lacking life. The NPCs don't do shit unless you kill them in certain spots where you become a wanted man. It would be cool if you could hijack a stagecoach and have the NPCs firing back, but you can just pop a cap in their noggins with no bother and you can't loot the stagecoach or the dead bodies. It'd also be good if you were riding along and you got attacked by a random mob of NPCs trying to take your horse or whatever. I had fun playing it, but I dunno how much I'd want to play that particular mode we played over and over. Even if there were other real players in there, the 16 player limit is too few players IMO, considering the size of the map.

[sore loser]

Had a go on the VS. multiplayer with the friends upstairs...and I wasn't too impressed, mainly because I reckon if you're playing a mate who is of a substantially higher level than you, then he's going to keep reaping the benefits of all the power-ups/new weapons/health restore while you proceed to get your arse handed to you in a flaming oil barrel every time you're killed.

[/sore loser]

[sore loser]

Had a go on the VS. multiplayer with the friends upstairs...and I wasn't too impressed, mainly because I reckon if you're playing a mate who is of a substantially higher level than you, then he's going to keep reaping the benefits of all the power-ups/new weapons/health restore while you proceed to get your arse handed to you in a flaming oil barrel every time you're killed.

[/sore loser]

That was always my issue with Worms Armageddon. My mate who's game it was would always dick us cos he had spent weeks building up all the killer weapons while all we could do was burrow and girder ourselves in. Top game though.

Steve: we'll have a game of "capture the bag" (how gay does that sound?!) and maybe a shootout of some sorts the night if yer up for it? they're fun.. Plus the only reason it got kinda repetitive on free roam the other night is cus we stayed around one area. Theres a mixture of different gang hideouts scattered all over the map with different objectives.. Neither of us were to familiar with the place though so we sat around throwing knives at each other, killing your donkey, and my beautiful horse (bastard).

Also go into a public free roam and become "Most Wanted" by ripping through a town of people and you'll have every player in the lobby hunting you down. Its hard to stay alive though!

• 4 weeks later...