FAO anyone who knows about funk

doppelkorn

So I'm thinking about branching out into soul and funk stuff (to spin that is, not make) and I'm feeling a bit lost.

I know a lot about hip hop so whenI'm digging thru the crates I always have a good ides of what i'm looking for but with funk i'm not too sure.

Basically I'm after recommendations for artists/labels to watch out for. The style I like is kind of p-funk or anything bassy/squelchy/groovy. Looking at Wax and Matt here but anyone else's advice is welcome.

Just FYI I alreadsy am pretty familiar with any Motown or Funkadelic/Parliament stuff but only the hits.

Cheerzzzzzzzzzzz

Hmmm...Matt knows a lot more about it than I do

Zapp & Roger spring to mind initially...

my main knowledge of funk (which as i say isn't as good as you might hope)comes though finding out about what's sampled in hip hop tunes i like - thats how i started getting into funk & soul stuff. if you want squelch, check out places like www.the-breaks.com and look at the sort of stuff sampled by Death Row era Dre(and other West Coast rap of the era), early Redman, Lench Mob/Ice Cube/Del Tha Funky Homosapien etc

A chunk of what i have is on compilations too. I listen more to hip hop and chilled jazzier funk & soul than upbeat funk/disco/boogie

I picked this up the other day for 50p which i'm pretty happy about - been after it for a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsiB7NrShRE

beware, the funk is everywhere....

the best starting place would be to get

hold of all the ultimate breaks & beats

lp's and the dusty fingers comps.

as for the p-funk sound no one does it

better than the masters and you

already have the parliment/funkadelic

shit , yeah?

for great groups with great back catalogues

try the meters, kool & the gang & the jb's.

1970 - 1973 were probably the best years for

'da real funky shit' but funk can come from

anywhere and any year in the last 40 odd :)

for some newer ish check the new mastersounds,

little barrie, speedometer, breakestra etc

digging in the field?

look for big afros, junkies/drug references,

(semi)naked women on the cover, 70-73+, drums

there are thousands of compilations out

full of the cream of the funk world, these would

be the best place to start & usually all the info

you need to start digging properly can be found in

the liner notes.

:)

I reckon start out on a slight tangent. Don't get into the obvious stuff. I say leave P funk and james brown alone. There a lot of new soul and funk out thats really good. but find it for yourself...its better that way!

So I'm thinking about branching out into soul and funk stuff (to spin that is, not make) and I'm feeling a bit lost.

I know a lot about hip hop so whenI'm digging thru the crates I always have a good ides of what i'm looking for but with funk i'm not too sure.

Basically I'm after recommendations for artists/labels to watch out for. The style I like is kind of p-funk or anything bassy/squelchy/groovy. Looking at Wax and Matt here but anyone else's advice is welcome.

Just FYI I alreadsy am pretty familiar with any Motown or Funkadelic/Parliament stuff but only the hits.

Cheerzzzzzzzzzzz

Thats my style of funk... A lot of people like the earlier stuff, but I really consider that soul (altho a lot of artists transitioned).

I'd suggest looking for stuff between 1977ish to 1983ish. Ohio Players, Brothers Johnson, Don't sleep on the 80s George Clinton stuff, Cameo, Gap Band, Honey Drippers, Heatwave, Rick James, Prince, Sly, Horney Horns, Brides of Funkenstein, Zapp, B.T. Express, etc

I can try and up some stuff for ya... also a little trick is go here: http://www.the-breaks.com/

and start searching West Coast hiphop artists of the 90s. They sampled the best funk (the kind u and I like).

Thanks guys,

kind of heading off in that direction (with the hip hop samples) so here's what I got tonight:

Old School Funk Vol. 18 (OSF18) containing

Richard Dimples Fields - Jazzy Lady

Gloria Hardman - Meet me with your draws on

Blackstreet - Before I let you go

Isley Bros. - Harvest for the world

Kool n the Gang - Take my heart

The Power of Funk and Soul (TPFS 009) containing

Heatwave - Ain't no halfsteppin

Steely Dan - The fez

Deniece Williams - Cause you love me baby

Parliament - Mothership connection

Positive Force - We got the funk b/w Tell me what you see (SHL102)

Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - Parents just don't understand (JIVE T 181) 99p!!!

Chill Rob G - The court is now in session b/w Et the words flow (WP1011)

De La Soul - A rollercoaster jam named Saturdays (TB990)

So I copped out and went for the compilations but they're both SICK. The hip hop I got cos it was cheapish. Got to get more of those compos tho.

Mr Chop, Heliocentrics and MRR ADM stuff all do it for me. In fact majority of Malcolm Catto related tracks. I know it's new stuff (well, the last decade) but it's exactly the type of funk I like.