New style

medinah_nitro

i like old school juggles better coz i like hearing familiar tunes being flipped with some scratching in it. i guess self-produced juggles are just like adding scratching to the instrumental you made while making it sound choppy. but on this juggle the guitar scratching was dope, and the juggle was extra technical, imagine how sick fly would be able to flip old school juggles.

I was just looking at the vid (kind of liked it) but then got looking at some Mix MAster Mike vids. He was one of the first times I ever saw cutting on the 3 MCs and 1 DJ video (I'm young, deal with it) but he never gets a mention on here...

Is he considered quite good? I know he won a load of stuff in the 90s but you all know way more about scratching than me. I like him at least.

dude I've alwass thought juggling is pretty much noize

Even people like Rob Swift and J Rocc?

No not really. But watching most of the shit at the itfs and dmcs used to be pretty noizy. Craze was always really dope and I loved how kentaro flipped his set back then...My favorite of all times juggles was p-trix @ dmc 1999 world championship as well as dj pump from canada in 2000. he fucking killed it there. but still, my main view why turntablism at the time didn't hit proper mainstream was because juggling all sounded like some fucked up percussion shit. hence I prefer stuff like what's posted further up, because it's more musical...

but that's just me...

I see what you're saying mate, but i think there's definitely people (as mentioned) whose juggles add to the musical composition, rather than just showboating the speed their hands move at.

I was just looking at the vid (kind of liked it) but then got looking at some Mix MAster Mike vids. He was one of the first times I ever saw cutting on the 3 MCs and 1 DJ video (I'm young, deal with it) but he never gets a mention on here...

Is he considered quite good? I know he won a load of stuff in the 90s but you all know way more about scratching than me. I like him at least.

Mixmaster Mike's absolutely insane, he's one of my biggest influences. Totally stylistically unique, and comes from a different angle to anyone. Knows his music too, some of his early mixes are wicked, particularly stuff like 30 Minute Massacre.

I don't think he gets mentioned that much due to not being a conventional battle DJ. He doesn't do much in the way of routines/juggle compositions, other than that Death Row tune where he messes with the intro, there's footage of it in Scratch and i think on the 1995 DMC showcase him 7 Q did, and also the 3 MC's 1 DJ routine.

Watch Scratch - All The Way Live too, he fucking smashes it. He's a party rocker more than a solo scratcher.

^^^^^ MMM is a fucking animal on both the cut and the juggle, Don't be fooled!!! Not as technical as some but so tight its fucking nonsense. This dj fly guy is shit to me. I am now really sick of this stuff its not complex the record is complex! heres my juggling hit list to look out for on you tube.

In order

Vajra

total eclipse

Babs

Rholi Rho

P Trix

This dj fly guy is shit to me. I am now really sick of this stuff its not complex the record is complex!

I've lost all interest in the post-Le Jad & Netik battle routines but I think fly is a talented guy. I don't agree that fly's set falls into the number of sets that conform with your phrase 'its not complex the record is complex' but a good proportion of routines over the last four years do. fuck-a-custom. (that's obviously not including performances and the few people who use them well- I do like most of the pre-le jad custom routines though:pfel, c2c, i-emerge etc).

MMM is playing in bournemouth soon i think. I've always liked his weird tweaky scratch style, i like how he has never tried to emulate anyonelse that obviously (or if he has he's adapted it into his own style).

I find juggling is fun to do and impressive to listen to if done well but i've never been a huge fan of it. There are a few juggles i do really like though.

True man. There is a thing that all the beat jumkies do called beat junkies trick mixing which is like a double up / juggle J rocc is the best in the world at this the he fucks with 2 copies of apache is like no other on earth.

@ Jon I believe it DOES fall into this category...thats not to say there is no skill involved, its really hard to do (I cant/wouldnt) but compared to a vajra/Total eclipse style chi its never!

@ Jon I believe it DOES fall into this category...thats not to say there is no skill involved, its really hard to do (I cant/wouldnt) but compared to a vajra/Total eclipse style chi its never!

Def agree on that.

i dont like most juggling, especially the new style...

I have to say I would prefer to hear some beat junkie trick mixing than a full on juggle, exceptions being kentaro and some real clean ish - most sounds like pants i think

Cant even imagine what most regular people think of juggling if even us DJs aint fans!

whats funny about this video is it says 'ortfon - vinyl preservation society'...

and its promoting a needle for serato

Guess they'll stop making their 'fuck cds and mp3, real djs play vinyl' logos soon too, eh!

whats funny about this video is it says 'ortfon - vinyl preservation society'...

and its promoting a needle for serato

I thought that too, when I saw the vid...and was like what? kind of contradictory in my view.

Anyways I still rest my case on thinking that this is a pretty dope juggle.