digital cameras

Bubba

So I'm going through the pain of having to decide what digital camera I want to get, as my old one is broken and I'm off to asia as of end of next week.

so I'm wondering what pointers you fellows have on the digi cam. My mom has a panasonic lumix with 12megapixer and like 10 or 12x zoom, which I had with me whilst travelling in brazil which was really cool. However I also want to be able to take serial shots, as I'll have the cam with me whilst snowboarding.

my mate tells me canon are the best...he has one and has taken some really cool pix with it. so I'm not really sure of what to get.

any of you guys had any experience with different brands and are seriously pro or contra something?

discuss.

thx.

Oliver

The whole digital camera thing pisses me right off, I've only ever own cheap (sub £100) ones and I've always found them horribly frustrating, sure they're good for talking pics of everyone on the beach or a quick snap of a gurning fool in a club but they always piss me off when it comes to take a picture of someone on a stage in the dark or a nice night scene. I've yet to discover a good point & click camera which can do this, obviously a DSLR is the answer but then I'd have to learn to actually take pictures and you can't really just stick it in your pocket.

I know I've not provided you with any help, I just thought I'd take the opportunity to rant.

No worries mate. I completely understand where you're coming from. I too have made the same experience and it's pissed me off endlessly. My pa owns a DSLR which is awesome, but as you said correctly you can't just stick it in your pocket. And that's what I actually quite like about digital cams is that you'll just take it with you whenever you feel like it. Especially when going out on the piss - good for any future weddings :)