Playstation 3 HD Size etc.

Bubba

So I've made a little bit of extra cash playing poker and have a little bit of extra money on the side. So currently I'm really thinking about buying a PS3, because the graphics are so sick and I've had some fun nights playing Call of Duty, Shaun White and Tony Hawk.

Now I'm not a huge gamer, meaning that I don't play every day. However I'm a huge fan of skateboarding and snowboarding games. So TH and most likely SW will be a no brainer for me. I like games like COD, so I guess I'ma get that...and the add for Assassin's Creed 2 on TV looks really dope. Now when it gets down to car games, I'm the type to say fuck collin mcrae - I'm not that into cars - I like simple racing and some NOs etc...so is NFS something to look at? Also I was a huge tekken fan with the PS1 and 2, so I gather tekken 6 is ok? When's Street Fighter 4 gonna be hitting Europe? Having given you guys that info, is there any other "must have"?

Also what's your view on the size of the HD? I'm thinking of buying a 120GB, because I just don't really know why I should need a 250? What would the reasons be to buy such a big HD?

Also how fast should my internet connection be to play multiplayer modes of Call of Duty or something without too big a lag? My current connection is 10'000 kbit/s d/l and I think something like 5 or so upload...

And finally is there any real reason NOT to buy a PS3 except for the price of the console, controlers and games?

Thanks for the input.

Oliver

What would the reasons be to buy such a big HD?

10% of the hard drive size is reserved for system use. Many games have forced installs on the PS3, which can take up anything from a few hundred MB to 5 GB per game. You'll also want space for downloading games and DLC. You can store media locally on the PS3 too, such as MP3s and videos. You can upgrade the hard drive with any compatible 2.5" laptop drive though, so IMO it's not worth paying extra for the 250 GB PS3 unless it comes as part of a good bundle, because you can buy a 320 GB drive cheaper than the price difference between the 120 GB and 250 GB PS3s and if you did that you'd also have the 120 GB drive from your PS3 as a spare. Upgrading the hard drive in a PS3 is a piece of cake too.

And finally is there any real reason NOT to buy a PS3 except for the price of the console, controlers and games?

As a pure gaming machine, the Xbox 360 is better IMO. Many games that are on both systems look noticeably better on the 360 (LINK), there's more games and DLC to choose from, and the online network is much better. If you just want a gaming machine and you don't have a bunch of PS3 owning friends or you're not attracted by the PS3's exclusive games over the 360's, then I'd go for the 360. The PS3 has certain advantages, such as the built in Blu-Ray player and wireless connectivity though. It really depends what you want/need.

currently there is an offer in migros... 400chf with 1 game... not bad for the slim version i dont think.

im on the cablecom highspeed net, same speed as you and it runs perfectly, so you wont have any trouble.

Thanks pete. Yeah I've seen that offer as well. The thing is the offered games are pretty crappy in my view...considering that I'm not a big FIFA player, I'm looking at the other offers which are say 50 Sfr more, but then I at least get a game with it, that I like. What kind of pisses me off, is that just 1.5 months ago I did an extension of my sunrise mobile contract and now in december they have offers, where if you sign up for 24 months, you get a ps3 for free with it...kind of feel like a dick now :o( Thanks for the input on the internet speed. Funily enough just today my cablecom connection is acting up. BTW: How's life in Basel? Please just don't tell me, that you're supporting their football team...

What would the reasons be to buy such a big HD?

10% of the hard drive size is reserved for system use. Many games have forced installs on the PS3, which can take up anything from a few hundred MB to 5 GB per game. You'll also want space for downloading games and DLC. You can store media locally on the PS3 too, such as MP3s and videos. You can upgrade the hard drive with any compatible 2.5" laptop drive though, so IMO it's not worth paying extra for the 250 GB PS3 unless it comes as part of a good bundle, because you can buy a 320 GB drive cheaper than the price difference between the 120 GB and 250 GB PS3s and if you did that you'd also have the 120 GB drive from your PS3 as a spare. Upgrading the hard drive in a PS3 is a piece of cake too.

As a pure gaming machine, the Xbox 360 is better IMO. Many games that are on both systems look noticeably better on the 360 (LINK), there's more games and DLC to choose from, and the online network is much better. If you just want a gaming machine and you don't have a bunch of PS3 owning friends or you're not attracted by the PS3's exclusive games over the 360's, then I'd go for the 360. The PS3 has certain advantages, such as the built in Blu-Ray player and wireless connectivity though. It really depends what you want/need.

Thanks steve. Re the HD size, that was exactly what I thought, since I saw that you can basically hook up an external HD anyways...i didn't know about the games installing so much on the HD to be able to run tho. I have a bunch of friends who now own a ps3, so I gather for the multiplayer gaming feeling, it might go that direction. I'll have a look at the xbox 360...I know you've said before that you prefer it as a console...but I'm a sucker for tv/internet adds, and Assassins Creed and SF4 have basically already given me a hard on :o). But I'll most definitely check your link. Thanks for sharing it.

thanks guys, as always enlightening. :o)

damn, i just realised that all of the games for ps3 (incl. call of duty, sf4, assassins creed are also available for the xbox 360...) shiiiiit, now I seriously don't know what to do...it all seems to be pointing towards the xbox now suddenly...oh and pete migros currently have an offer for the xbox inkl. 3 games for 339...seems to be a pretty good deal.

pee.z

o.

Life in Basel is fine! but I must confess... i am quite partial to the old FCB... my colleages bought me FCB top as a welcome present and we always get free tickets to see the games! in general though its all good... waiting for some ski slopes to open so we can get a bit of skiing in. but it seems all the snow landed in Zurich... how was it ?

dont start me on cablecom... they are useless! hahha i just upgraded to get their HD tv service but after telling them 3 times i need a cable splitter for the 3 socket plugs so i can use the internet and tv at the same time... they just get confused and send me everything in the shop except the damn cable splitter! so now I have a 2 socket splitter, 2 hdmi cablesm 2 tv ariel cables, 2 HD TV boxes, A german welcome pack for HD recorders, 2 english welcome packs, 2 tv remotes and multimedia adapter that doesnt work with HD... I think I will just give up and move the internet into the other room! haha!

I was thinking about the PS3 just for the blu ray player... Im totally not interested in any of the games except gran tourismo when it comes out) but is it worth getting a standalone blu ray player or does the PS3 still come out as a better deal even if you dont play games on it ?

So I ended up buying a ps3. I know Steve's gonna be slightly dissapointed, especially because the review he posted was really thorough and really looked, like the xbox was/is the better gaming console. Now don't get me wrong I'm a hobby gamer, so I didn't understand most of the criticism the ps3 gets...because I simply don't understand what the people are babbling about. What was a MAJOR turn off and eventually the reason for me NOT to buy the xbox, was having to pay for the use of the internet whereas the ps3 is free. Now I'm not a huge online gamer but I've got a bunch (say 5) friends who all have a ps3, so meeting them online for a round of call of duty kind of brings back the memories of counter strike...so that's kind of what made me buy the ps3. I must say this morning was kind of never-wrecking because I spent a ton of cash on something which I'm only 90% sure of, I want. Especially because after having read all this debate about ps3 vs. xbox, I was really insecure, because it does seem that for gaming alone the xbox is the better way to go. However I doubt that my untrained I will really understand the fine differences between two high class machines.

Now to you pete...the blu-ray player. I don't really know if I'm ever going to use it, but I'd say it most definitely was a plus on the side of the ps3. The ps3 tries to be a multimedia box, whereas the new xbox elite tries to do the same...but from what I can tell with regards to technology etc, the build of the ps3 is more up to date and the fact that you can exchange the HD as well is a plus. I will probably therefore use the ps3 as a back up for my computer (only like 30GB). Finally also another "argument" for me was that I've usually only played Playstations at my mates, so I'm used to the controller. Plus the design of the ps3 slim is really sexy and supposedly it makes less noise and has "less" overheating issues than the Xbox. However I doubt that latter will apply to me as I hardly game for 10 hours str8 or something.

And finally FCB - thin ice there mate, thin ice :) I'm not an avid swiss football watcher, because it's such a horrible level at which they play. But I'm also not a FCZ fan. If at all, I'd say I have my sympathies with GC. Yes very eltist - but that's what I am (that's why a bought a ps3) :).

So first games are:

GTA IV, Shaun White, SF4 and then I guess I'ma have to get Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty too. But games are just soooo expensive. what's uncharted 2 like?