My Rodec Scratchbox...perhaps for sale...

Bubba

So I'm playing with the idea of maybe selling my Rodec Scratchbox. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's an insane mixer. But I hardly scratch these days and am slowly but surely becoming an established electro dj here in Zurich. So my thought was maybe sell the Rodec and get a Pioneer DJM909. Or is there anybody who thinks i'd have to be insane to even contemplate such a thing? I'm really keen on the inbuilt fx. I've always been a huge fan of fx but have never had the extra cash to buy a module. So either I'm gonna stick with my scratchbox and save the cash to buy something like a kaospadIII oder similar (any ideas??) or perhaps do as written further about.

I'm not too keen on selling the scratchbox as in my view it still is the ultimate mixer. Perhaps the eq's could've had a little bit more db's to 'em, but that's just a minor complaint...and the fader is just so sick. Oh I don't really know what to do...so once again I'm kind of turning to you guys to sort of see what you're input is...

pee.z

Yeah I know what you're saying. The thing is that I prefer mixing electro/tech house with pioneer mixers, as the eq's are great. But I gather I'd be the happier man, by just getting an fx unit.

Thing is, I was kind of bumbed to see that the Rodec was going for less than 1.000$ on ebay. At the time I bought mine, I payed quite a bit more.

Considering that it's hardly ever been used, how much do you think I could get for it, if I were to sell it?

Yeah I know what you're saying. The thing is that I prefer mixing electro/tech house with pioneer mixers, as the eq's are great. But I gather I'd be the happier man, by just getting an fx unit.

Thing is, I was kind of bumbed to see that the Rodec was going for less than 1.000$ on ebay. At the time I bought mine, I payed quite a bit more.

Considering that it's hardly ever been used, how much do you think I could get for it, if I were to sell it?

When the scratchbox was released, the scratch-mixer market was over-saturated. Since there was a TTM-56 or the Hak-360 etc., the scratchbox had a hard time establishing itself (if it ever did). The same will be with ebay i fear (since it's relatively unknown mixer), where you see a lot of quality 2-channel (or 4 channel) battle-mixers for less than 1000$. I will keep mine (got also the djm-909). But you can still try one auction with a higher starting-price, which leans more towards the purchase (I saw a us stores selling one for less than a thou). Oh and mention the transport-bag in your auction...

If you don't intend to use the fader-controlled efx on the DJM-909, you could still have a look at the Pioneer EFX-500 or 1000, which provide almost the same efx's (minus the channelfader-controlled ones), as the Pio DJM-909, like this you could keep your scratchbox.

Ps: What's your DJ-name?

So I'm playing with the idea of maybe selling my Rodec Scratchbox. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's an insane mixer. But I hardly scratch these days and am slowly but surely becoming an established electro dj here in Zurich. So my thought was maybe sell the Rodec and get a Pioneer DJM909. Or is there anybody who thinks i'd have to be insane to even contemplate such a thing? I'm really keen on the inbuilt fx. I've always been a huge fan of fx but have never had the extra cash to buy a module. So either I'm gonna stick with my scratchbox and save the cash to buy something like a kaospadIII oder similar (any ideas??) or perhaps do as written further about.

I'm not too keen on selling the scratchbox as in my view it still is the ultimate mixer. Perhaps the eq's could've had a little bit more db's to 'em, but that's just a minor complaint...and the fader is just so sick. Oh I don't really know what to do...so once again I'm kind of turning to you guys to sort of see what you're input is...

pee.z

I think you'd be crazy Oliver. Just get an efx unit. I got my alesis one that I run my rane through for about 90 quid. It has about 50 efects. I loe the scratchbox.

Thanks guys. This was exactly the kind of input I needed. I also feel somewhere inside of me that I'd regret selling it. It's such a sturdy mixer and perfect quality. I gather with the efx-unit I'd probably be the happiest guy, so I'ma probably do that instead.

Muzz - thanks for the offer. But I think I'm just going to follow your advice and head out and get a separate fx unit. After that I'll probably want to wack myself in the head for even thinking of selling the Rodec.

Arkei - MaxMills. When I say established, that means djing once every 1-2 months in Zurich...I ain't no dani könig yet :o) it's just that when I get booked I'm only getting booked as a techhouse/electro dj. So my musical demand from my mixer has shifted slightly - don't get me wrong I still cut for pleasure...hence me still being interested in battle mixers.

Wax - yeah I saw that aswell. I mean a djm 909 for like 1.200$???? Like wtf? I thought during the recession prices would go down...but maybe that's just me.

Dig - Thanks for your view as well. Randy thank you to you too.

Guys - you're the best. This small chat has made my decision a lot easier. Keep the scratchbox, buy an efx unit. Don't be a dickhead :o). Thing is I've also gotta trust my instincts. I took months looking into the Scratchbox vs. 08 vs. 909 and decided that the scratchbox was the best of them all as I had the extra cash at the time. Right now i'm just skint, so that's why I was looking around to see what options I had.

Peace fellas

Oliver

Dude, looks seriously interesting! Thanks for that post.

I'ma also look into the Pioneer 500. I've heard the quality of the efx are better in the 100. Then again, I do have to say I'm a slut for gadets and the kaosspad looks like so much fun. But it is also hella expensive. So maybe I'ma just go for the simple alesis. All I need are some phasers, dope looping options and reverb/delays...

Any other excellent inputs?