Ableton Recording input question

djdiggla

I tried to record into ableton live for the first time last night and it kept recording the input audio but also re-recording the tracks I had already laid down... is that an issue with my soundcard or the ableton settings?

i never had that problem with ableton but i had the same problem with cool edit at some point. what i do to avoid it is i have two different setup modes.

a) the pc output goes to the amp/ speakers and the mixer master output goes to the pc input. so you don't run the pc sound through the mixer at all and just record the audio (turntable) from the mixer. that would help your issue.

b) the pc output goes to the mixer line input, one master output from the mixer goes to pc input and the other master output goes to the amp. so when you record the pc records it's output and audio (turntable). this is the setup i run when i want to record cuts over a looper.

but i have to change one cable, change some settings of the soundcard and change the input channel of the amp everytime i want to change the setup, bit annoying. there might be a way to do it just by changing some monitor settings.

^^I'll see if I can do something like that.

A friend also suggested just muting everything else and turning on the metronome since I know what I'm playing in...