BetterZip: FANTASTIC zip software for Mac

http://www.macitbetter.com

Three years after getting my first Mac, I've finally found a piece of archive software comparable to WinRAR. This is full GUI, will open just about any archive format you can mention, no problems with passwords, and you can 'open' the archive just like WinZIP/WinRAR too, no need to extract it immediately. The icing on the cake is the quick look integration (optional download). And it's not pointlessly bloated like StuffIt.

It's not free, I think it's nagware like WinRAR. And to make RAR files you need the RAR libraries. I'd literally given up hope of ever finding this software, assuming that the awful archive compatibility of OS X was just one of those guilty secrets that Mac users don't talk about. I'm very chuffed.

Cue someone chiming in with how this/a superior alternative is common knowledge....?!

unrar -x rarfile.rar

Command line ftl, I didn't spend close to a grand on a typewriter! I was using those archive library shell extensions (technical terms and me don't really get on sometimes so) but they didn't work with passwords, so UnRarX for passworded stuff, until this point. This is so much better. Honest.