WinXP SP2, Office 2003 SP1

Chee

So it looks like a week after Office 2003 gets it's first Sevice Pack, the final RTM (build 2180) of WinXP SP2 gets released also.

I'm now considering a format of C: and a clean install of WinXP with SP2.

Hmmm...

You got the "Windows Security Centre" for one. The firewall is updated but STILL has no outbound protection. Automatic Updates will be turned back on by SP2 (great) and it also scans to see if you have an antivirus product installed. If you don't then XP will kindly remind you every so often that you need to get one. The problem is, it seems it has a problem recognising certain AV products.

Other changes are in IE. You get a pop up blocker (ooooooh that's a new idea!) and ActiveX and scripting are switched off by default. Something you can do in less than 10 seconds anyway.

Bluetooth support is added for various products. This is one area of SP2 that works well from what I've read.

Wireless networking has been made easier with wizards and such to set them up.

For Outlook Express there is the added option to block external HTML and images. Spammers often insert a picture into an email so your PC retrieves it and they know your email account is still active. This is actually a pretty useful feature for cutting down on spam.

I'm not gonna download it just for those features. The only useful one for me is the Outlook Express HTML and image blocking. Everything else is either already sorted or I just don't need it.

Nope. You gotta download the whole fucking thing. SP2 does some other stupid stuff too. You know when you install a patch that requires a restart? Quite often I will click NO and not restart until later on or the next day. SP2 will pop up messages reminding you that you haven't applied the patches you downloaded and ask if you want to restart. If you click NO too many times it forces a restart. That's just ghey! I want to control what the PC does, not the other way round.

i'll leave that update for the time being

mine all seems setup ok, at the minute.

as for office 2003, i aint bothered about that either. i use office 97. it seems to have all the things i need to use. ie - write document, print document, and it's tiny in size

LOL. All those issues already? Why would you install it mate?

I dunno. I just like making sure I have the latest software / updates, even though whatever it is I use works perfectly fine. It's a bad habit...

That's how I got burned with Zone Alarm ver 5! (I went back to ver 4.5 in the end)

Something similar also happened with a newer version of Nero I installed.

But most of the time , the latest version of stuff works well for me.

Also, I've read comments that SP2 speeds up windows significantly too.

I will wait for a while though. There are copies available for d/l at the moment, but I'll wait until you can d/l it directly from M$

Yeah I'm the same, except with this! Everything else on my PC is bang up to date cos I'm usually of the opinion that if the newer version is not improved, why did the company release it? There's just something about this I don't like.

Guest Deeswift
I didn't even know what that was until you mentioned it. There's no fix as such, but there is a workaround.......

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ImageLoader.asp

There's been a fix for ages mate, it's called Firefox.

Fuck SP2 though. I was saying months ago how it wasn't for me, and I'll stick by that unless there becomes a real need to update.

Guest Deeswift

Nope, use what the fuck you want. Still bumping up your Avant thread trying to sell people that shit?

*Fucks off back to AMD board.