BEATS...HOW DO I MAKE EM

adolesinz

The easiest way to get started will be ableton, fruity loops or reason although I'd not really recommend reason if you're going to be working mostly with samples. It really doesn't matter what anyone else is using it's just about using what you've got.

There are loads of other programs like logic, protools, cubase and free/cheap tools like reaper which are all great. Personally I use cubase and can't stand fruity loops, I only like ableton for live stuff and kind or out grew reason however I definitely see them as 3 apps which will get you started quickest and they are far more than capable and are use by well respected artists in all different genres.

Have a read up, maybe try some demos then get the one you like the most, assuming you're going to be doing mostly sample based hip hop beats I think fruity or ableton will be the best way for you.

Hope that helps.

Making beats is a difficult process where you have to be constantly learning new techniques so that you develop a great vocabulary of techniques at your disposal (a lot like scratching in a way). A good producer will be able to make something dope on any software or hardware sequencer, it's just what you're comfortable with using. Fruity loops is a good starting point as are the old EJAY loop based programs (they taught me a lot about using DAWs and arrangement windows when i was 11).

Download a couple of programs then once you've found one you seem to enjoy, buy it and just practice beat baking :)

A good producer will be able to make something dope on any software or hardware sequencer, it's just what you're comfortable with using.

theres a large element of truth in that...however i would say that if youre gonna spend some time doing production 'properly', invest your time wisely and start with some software thats better quality than fuity poops....its aiight....but you might as well start as you mean to go on.

its a pain to re-learn new techniques for new software, unless you're a soap dodger / have a shit load of time free on yer hands?

id plump for cubase or logic, reason beats sound like reason beats...id steer clear, personally.

:8

A good producer will be able to make something dope on any software or hardware sequencer, it's just what you're comfortable with using.

theres a large element of truth in that...however i would say that if youre gonna spend some time doing production 'properly', invest your time wisely and start with some software thats better quality than fuity poops....its aiight....but you might as well start as you mean to go on.

its a pain to re-learn new techniques for new software, unless you're a soap dodger / have a shit load of time free on yer hands?

id plump for cubase or logic, reason beats sound like reason beats...id steer clear, personally.

:8

word

I'm a logic/ableton/mpc user. I think programs like fruity loops and reason are a good stepping stone though, it can be a bit daunting being thrown in at the deep end with a top of the league DAW like Logic though if you have no prior experience imo

a lot of sick producers started on fl.many current ones still use it. look at young fyre, he won the first rocbattle tourney only using fruity loops. but everyone is right, you might as well start on something worthy..its like i bought shitty ass numark 1650 when i started scratching,i shouldve started with techs.

I would beg to differ.

Fruity has a lot of people hating on it, because it's simple to use. If you use the XL version you've actually got tons of opportunities, which most people don't even know about.

I guess because fruity a) has a shitty name and b) doesn't look as "professional" as say logic, pro tools or cubase it gets so much hate.

An example on what can be done with fruity loops studio:

http://www.ronaldjenkees.com/media/temp/Ro...nasty_nasty.mp3

It's only a snippet which simply proves that if you know your music, it doesn't matter what program you use.

My mate has gone from using cubase to protools to now using logic and yeah his stuff sounds great etc...I've stuck with fruity - switched to cubase for a while - and then went back to fruity...because I find my creativity is less limited...and I'm faster in varying patterns etc than in other programmes.

But yeah I know - the """"scene"""" doesn't really regard you as a true producer, unless you use protools or logic...

I think a lot of people in this thread under estimate fruity loops, I fucking hate it with a passion and could never get my head around the way of thinking with it but I am fully aware that it is up there with all the other sequencers, fruity loops is used by a lot of very serious musicians who make good tunes and lots of money from it.

I hear you Ed...haha, jumping on the bandwagon now... :)

I understand one thing though: If you learnt how to make music on say Cubase you'll fucking wonder what the hell is going on in FL...it's a bit different to use...I get that.

Anyways, as you were. I just had to get my post further up out of my system...

pee.z

Not to toot my own horn, but once I got FL down, I made some pretty cool beats. I wish I had them on this computer so I could upload them for yous to check out.

Yeah, like other people have said, it's the producer, not the equipment...for the most part. If you think about it, you can make sick ass beats with just one turntable (drumming, plus other layers stacked) or even with a Speak and Spell. Dang, you can make some cool ass ish just thumping on a 24oz can.

Eh, gotta get my music machine/pc back...I so miss making beats and tracks. That's when I feel like I'm in true harmony/congruence with myself.

If anything, just have fun with it. That's kinda what it's all about. I just played around with the first few beats, didn't really make anything cool, just kinda learning the program. Then, about the 5th or 6th beat, I nailed it. Then it was on like Jr. Donkey Kong ever since.