Pioneer 909 or Vestax 08?

Jon

I've been given a couple of very good offers on both these mixers. Both are second hand and in good condition. I'm currently using an 07. I loved the feel of the 08 when I last had a go on one and have mixed using a 909 before but haven't had a cut on one before. I'm basically upgrading just for the fx send and receives. The 909 is great as it has inbuilt fx and send and receives while the 08 has fx sends and receives but no inbuilt fx. I'm going to be using it for live performances with Button basher and djing as I normally take my mixer with me even when just Djing.

What do you reckon I should go for? Has anyone had experience cutting on both?

Guest loop skywalker

furious p's 08 is an absolute dream of a mixer to cut on but he has whacked a pro x fade in the mofo. I quite like the effects on the 909 but recently decided i am not 100 per au faix with the cross fucker,like gizmo says its different and i think you will get too used to the 909 faders and may not be able to perform well on any other mixer should you use another mixer that is.

furious p's 08 is an absolute dream of a mixer to cut on but he has whacked a pro x fade in the mofo. I quite like the effects on the 909 but recently decided i am not 100 per au faix with the cross fucker,like gizmo says its different and i think you will get too used to the 909 faders and may not be able to perform well on any other mixer should you use another mixer that is.

The stock 08 fader is fine a long as you give it a good clean and lube - I'd say it's pretty close to pro-x maybe needs a bit more lubing....

I am thinking about sticking an innofader in though cos I'm too lazy to clean it regulary

:x I wouldn't touch the 08 personally, Alrite mixer, but I know Muzzell's had loads of problems with his (blue sparks shooting out the power pack for one!). Vestax build quality these days ain't worth shit. For less money just buy a rane 56. Got send and return and the nicest mixer to cut on IMO.

I'll join in on the scratchbox story - I own one and it's the best mixer out the box hands down. HOWEVER if you're being offered a 909 for sale, then I'd prolly go for that as I've heard some dodgy stories regarding the 08 (i.e. fader knobs breaking, the sparks story from muzzell, tigerstyles wrecking his within a couple of weeks etc.) and from what I've heard is that since vestax moved the factories to (god knows where) the quality has really dropped - i.e. not at all comparable to an 07 which in my opinion was prolly the best mixer vestax ever made. So my gut feeling is telling me you should go with the 909 as a) you get more for your money and b) if you can handle the fader (never used it personally) then you ought to be the happiest guy on the planet....

just my two cents...

08s are fine now IMO

Power supply issues are resolved, and the remaining "issues" with the fader I think are down to the fact that the fader produces quite a lot of plastic/carbon dust the first few weeks. After a couple of cleans it settles down.

As for Tigerstyles wrecking his, he was up in Liverpool a few months ago and he said he'd had problems at first but that they'd settled down. Seems consistent with my experience...

I'm not saying they're perfect, just don't assume they never fixed the teething troubles.

It's worth finding out if you can before buying an 08 if it had the flash update which fixed the serious fader problems that affected some of the earlier units. This and the power supply issue are why it had such an ignominious birth.

Those of you a little longer out of short trousers will remember that 07s were a bag of shite originally. The first lot had alpha faders and the line faders didn't fade at all, the fade adjust just moved the cut in point but it was always a sharp cut instead of a fade. So yes it was probably the best mixer vestax made but the initial run were shabby, not a lot unlike the 08s first runs.

Before anyone goes thinking I'm a raging Vestax fanboy, I've got a Rane 57, Ecler 360, and a Vestax 08 lined up on my table, and I use them all for different things cos they have differents strengths.

I have a 909 in a box under the desk where it's sat for nearly 3 years because while the FX are nice, I can't stand the fader, and how many times can you get away with people thinking your cool because you can stick "Roll" on every now and then while you're scratching? ;)

:x I wouldn't touch the 08 personally, Alrite mixer, but I know Muzzell's had loads of problems with his (blue sparks shooting out the power pack for one!). Vestax build quality these days ain't worth shit. For less money just buy a rane 56. Got send and return and the nicest mixer to cut on IMO.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mixers/vestax/pmc08

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mixers/rane/ttm56i

Less? Minus £66.27 less.... ;)

I loved the 909 for mixing, but hated it for scratching. The fader felt horrible and popped too. I'd definitely try it for a bit before you pay for it if you can, because I was all set to buy one, but after borrowing Dub-Se7en's for a couple of weeks it totally put me off. Definitely a love/hate thing going on with that mixer.

Fuckin hell Johnny . . A Ranes now over £500!! :o I bought mine new mid way through 2008 and after a bit of haggling got it for about £400. Has the credit crunch hit Rane hard or something?

I know what everyone's saying about the 07. I know a few people who still have them from about 2000 ish and they're solid as fuck and they still use them daily.

To really stick my worthless 2 pences in . . I also own a 909 and used to swear on it being the best mixer ever, cuts, sets . everything. However the fader has a very metallic almost "Heavy" feel to it. I think it's what you're used to. People would come and cut on my 909 and say "it's horrible e.t.c" and since switching to Rane I understand what they're saying and now find it hard to cut on the 909. However I think the most important thing to stress here is ITS WHATEVER YOU'RE USED TO., I've seen plenty of good footage of people cutting on a 909 (Rafik, Maroon, Eprom . . )

£450 for the 909 or £300 for the 08 on ebay but I don't know what issue the 08 is. The 08 is looking like a better option imo. I love vestax mixers. I wouldn't swap my 07 if it wasn't for the lack of fx sends.

£450 for the 909 or £300 for the 08 on ebay but I don't know what issue the 08 is. The 08 is looking like a better option imo. I love vestax mixers. I wouldn't swap my 07 if it wasn't for the lack of fx sends.

You can have my 909 for £350.

It's about 4 years old, not used for the last 2 ish. It's all fully working and in decent nick apart from a small dent at the back where the earth post took one for the team

You could prolly get a new 08 for 450. I'd only get a 2nd hand one if you know it has the new power supply and the flash update....