Windows 7 beta outperforms XP and Vista

Steve

Article here: -

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236&page=2

I installed the beta myself a few days ago, but I didn't have a legit key for it so I only used it for a while. The installation was very fast compared to previous versions of Windows and much simpler. Also, all of the drivers for my Vaio laptop were automatically installed which was cool. As long as things don't change too much between now and when the final code is released, I'll definitely switch up Windows 7 later in the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a legit key from MS - anyone can get one on the Windows 7 section of their site until the 14th I think. It allows you to run the beta until the end of July. If it wasn't for the fact that it's a time limited trial, I'd seriously use this as my main OS. I hope they don't change it for the worse between now and whenever the final retail version hits the market.

Does it only need 5 gigs of ram to run?

The minimum system requirements are: -

1GHz CPU

1GB RAM

16GB HDD space

A graphics card that supports DirectX9 and has at least 128MB RAM if you want the eye candy turned on

My laptop's specs: -

1.6GHz CPU

2GB RAM

100GB HDD

Intel GMA 950 on board graphics

Even with the wank on board graphics, the aero interface works fine and the OS seems very fast and responsive.

A pic of it running on my laptop: -

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/3976/windows7oh4.png

I wonder if they will still have the update bug...

I wanted to install the new office on my computer but didnt want to fork out for the privaledge... and my dad only had a copy of the upgrade cd (which is like half the price or something)... so i tried the upgrade anyway. as soon as I put the update cd in, it prompted me saying that it couldnt find an original copy of office to upgrade and asked me to locate the files manually... so i just pointed it towards the office upgrade cd and it said... ahh yes theres office... ill install it now! fecking retards!