I need a Laptop

texas pete

Im in need of a Laptop! my budget is around £300-£400

Does anyone know of any good ones out there at the moment... ive scoured the PC world website to try find a decent offer (i know its not the best place to go, but im lazy!) but they are either crap or look like they will fall apart the second I move it from my desk.

Ive also been looking at Linux Beryl... are there 'blank' laptops out there or is it better to stick with the vista package they more than likely come with?

or... Should I just make do with no laptop and build my own desktop?

Here's a couple you might wanna look at: -

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151240

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149335

http://h41306.www4.hp.com/itemDetails?SID=...43fa4e067ac25d8

With that last one, you can use this code to get 10% off: -

HPSPLDIS

Plus if you have a Quidco account (and they're free) then you get 8% cashback as well.

There's also the Dell Inspiron, Vostro and Studio laptops, some of which are decent and available for under 400 quid.

You could build a more powerful desktop for a similar amount, but it depends whether you want the portability of a laptop.

Nice one Steve!

I think a laptop would be better... then I can throw it in a bag when im between here and Switzerland... if not its going to be a bugger when im back on holiday etc...

Also... what difference does the processor make? apart from speed, obviously... I mean AMD compared to Intel etc... I kinda get the impression that Intel are better than the AMD lines?

Its just really down the preference.. I prefer amd. But thats purely because whne p4 just came out amd brought out there athlon chip and i loved how easily they could be over-clocked.

anyway So since then i have sided with AMD more..

But i have no idea on the situation of the newer chips (quad core )

I have a AMD Athlon x2 thats 2 years old and can still run some pretty nice games, run loads of programs. Load loads of vst's without any sweat

Edit: try dabs.com

Edit Edit:

Gotta remember though you will need more memory to run vista than it would to run xp..

I think with vista its recommended that you should have a gig more than if you were to run vista

Cheers Crimey... thats a good site !

I guess the other option would be to build my own... its just going to be a pain to be without a computer, internet and everything for a few months.... its going to be a real back to basics for me! lol!

but does anyone know if the new linux system is any good?! Flowerpot? Heres looking at you!

I came so close to hitting the "buy" button on this yesterday: http://hotukdeals.com/item/284491/dell-ins...ad.php?t=284491

Seems Dell fucked up and allowed a deal to carry on that you could only get if you bought something else. Looks like they're honouring orders that were received before a certain time though. I very nearly did it but then figured they'd back out of the deal.

I'd have played with it for a short time and put it up on eBay. At least, that would have been the plan. I find myself drawn to these netbooks. I'd love to see Apple's take on this but probably still wouldn't buy one. I'd only make real use of it perhaps 3 times a year.

I dunno i wouldn't really buy second hand.. mostly because of the battery life... Brought a 2nd hand laptop as my first one and was fine for a couple of months and than the battery just packed up.. so could only use it with he power supply plugged in, than other stuff started going wrong like it started over heating etc...