old macbook pro vs new macbook

apple users help me out.

my friend is selling her 1st gen macbook pro for $800. I was immediately interested as ive always wanted one but when she texted me the specs i started to get second thoughts. I believe the first mbp is running a core duo processor (not core 2 duo) at 1.83 ghz and 512mb of ram (which i know is inexpensive to upgrade). I would be using the laptop for serato, ableton and design work (adobe cs). Now i can either get that for $800 flat or get a new macbook with a 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 2 gb or ram and a 160 gb hard drive for $1291 (also comes with a ipod touch that i can easily sell for at least $200)

to me, the specs make this almost a no brainer in favor of the macbook... the only thing that gives me a second thought about it is the casing. ive got friends with both the white and black macbook and they are either stained (white) or oily (black).

what would you do?

Nah, get the MacBook Pro. The casing is much better, the screen is better and the processor might not be slower, depending on the models.

Don´t care too much about the age, Macs last long. I´m writing this stuff on a 5 year old Power Mac G4, my mate still has a 4 year old iBook in everyday use.

I can tell it's slower than it used to be.

For gods sake: maintenance! A Mac will never be slower if it is maintained right.

Get Onxy for your version of OS X. Use it to repair disk persmission and run the crons. After a restart your system should be fast again.

Thanks for the tip, downloading that now. It's not that I don't take care of my mac: I make sure I only have what I need on there and have a good filing system and whatnot.

EDIT: just run most of the things in that program. should start to see the effects soon