The Baby Scratch

x2k

This is the first thing anyone should learn if they want to scratch, all other scratches are impossible with out it.

There is nothing clever or complicated about the baby scratch, all you do it put the cross fader in the middle and start to move the record with your hand.

Things you need to learn to do the baby scratch are:

* lightness of touch, you must not be too heavy handed or the needle will skip. This applies to all scratch.

* move the record in rhythms which are in time with the beat.

Things to try:

Once you can move the record back and forth in time with the beat try to vary the rhythm and the speed at which you move the record (with will affect the pitch of the sound). See what diffent sounds and rhythms you can come up with.

• 1 month later...

what kind of gets me is i want to make HUGE motions when i am babying, but what i realized last night when i was working with diggla was that it is very subtle. I guess the big misconception I was operating under was that you needed tons of force. Not the case. But then again i am a total NOOB. But i hax.

hax? Always droppin the newest geek verbage, eh?

Yeah, little, soft movements are really crucial. They used to sell these little "scratch pads" or something like that. It was a section of record on a felt covered square of wood. Nice little portable ting for practicing your hand movements if you don't have turntables or are away a lot.

• 2 weeks later...