Macbook Air

Liam

I think I want one. On one hand it's gonna be the nuts for all the flying around with work, and I can probabbly get it for under a grand when I'm over in Orleans. US heads, can you getbackatme with some USD prices, can it be got for cheaper than at Apple stores etc?

On the other hand I'm probabbly going to want the more expensive model with the SSD and the security of being covered by UK sales, and two grand for a laptop is just... galling. Plus, Intel have announced that the special C2D's for the Air are available to all manufacturers -I'm betting Dell et al. will release a thinner lighter cheaper longer life vista alternative soon.

Is anyone using Parallels lately? I heard it got loads better -DX10 support even! So come on Macboys, talk me into it. It's only money after all. Anyone know what discounts I can get etc?

Also: I'm forever hearing bad things about Perl for the Mac. Anyone got experience here? I use Perl extensively to code apps to talk to my various instruments over rs232. If it's all seamless in parallels then it isn't gonna be an issue, though.

Get a normal non-gimped laptop. It won't fit between your butt cheeks quite so easily, but you'll get more for your money. :p

For once I agree with you on an Apple laptop, Steve..

This Macbook Air is so underspec'd its not even funny

The EEEPC's are dope but in a totally different game.

Non gimped laptops? I have three here. I'm being a twat and I know it. More for money isn't too much of an issue, all of a sudden I have a decent income and I'm not spending nearly enough of it.

The Toshiba Portage line really do make the Air look stupid, what with being lighter, smaller, having all the ports you could possibly need AND an optical drive. But for some odd reason I still kinda want the Air.

I think the dealbreaker is gonna be how well Macs handle Perl. Any wisdom here?

The EEEPC's are dope but in a totally different game.

Non gimped laptops? I have three here. I'm being a twat and I know it. More for money isn't too much of an issue, all of a sudden I have a decent income and I'm not spending nearly enough of it.

The Toshiba Portage line really do make the Air look stupid, what with being lighter, smaller, having all the ports you could possibly need AND an optical drive. But for some odd reason I still kinda want the Air.

I think the dealbreaker is gonna be how well Macs handle Perl. Any wisdom here?

Well as OS X is based on unix and Perl was originally designed to run on unix I'd say your good.

I would agree with tdo regarding but perl but that's a fucking stupid fucking reason for buy an over priced piece of wank...and just to add to that perl is a load of fucking shit anyway, use a proper fucking scripting language.

Sorry for the out burst, while I'm not a fan of macs this is not just me hating, the mac air are clever, fair play to them for making them so small, they are posh and stylish so if you tie it to your chest then you might get let into posh clubs or the masons or some shit, but why the fuck would you pay a fucking fortune for less...it's a fucking joke...I would gladly tell any mac air owner they are a cunt straight to their face.

Liam, I dunno what's got into you, you're a fucking sensible chap, I'd have thought that out of everyone you'd be the first to see a mac air as nothing more than a fucking fashon accessary for twats.

There we go, I've said my bit.

I would agree with tdo regarding but perl but that's a fucking stupid fucking reason for buy an over priced piece of wank...and just to add to that perl is a load of fucking shit anyway, use a proper fucking scripting language.

Sorry for the out burst, while I'm not a fan of macs this is not just me hating, the mac air are clever, fair play to them for making them so small, they are posh and stylish so if you tie it to your chest then you might get let into posh clubs or the masons or some shit, but why the fuck would you pay a fucking fortune for less...it's a fucking joke...I would gladly tell any mac air owner they are a cunt straight to their face.

Liam, I dunno what's got into you, you're a fucking sensible chap, I'd have thought that out of everyone you'd be the first to see a mac air as nothing more than a fucking fashon accessary for twats.

There we go, I've said my bit.

I'm guessing you haven't got an iphone then?

if youre going to go mac.. i would wait until the macbooks and the macbooks pros are out with new versions. they will have the "pinch" technology on the trackpad. i feel thats a new innovation that everyone will enjoy using.

macbook air is just small. and only one usb port at that. no harddrive. the external harddrive from apple for the macbook air is pretty sweet.. but thats ridiculous. i dont appreciate the curviture of the macbook air.

I'm guessing you haven't got an iphone then?

Are you looking for a fight?

macbook air is just small. and only one usb port at that. no harddrive.

and from what I've heard, no ethernet port!