4MB Virgin Media broadband rising to 10MB

Steve

Unfortunately not mate.

bunch o' cunts!

i remember speaking to one bellend when i had a telly fault ad he told be we'd be automaticall upped by august last year...grrrrr....I don't really ming the fact that ts gonna stay at 2 mb, but being told absolute bollocks does my head in...

I got Vrigin Media 4mb broadband, basic Tele and home phone with some free calls or summat but never use the fucking thing. Costs me £24ish per month.

So is it rising to 10mb permanently do ya know because they did a trial period not so long ago.

If you don't mind me asking Wax, which Virgin Media services do you have, and how much are you paying per month?

I'm on the 3 for £30 tv phone and internet package...thats why they're keeping my broadband tame...they gave me the entertainment package thing on the tv though so i get plenty of shit tv

last time i spoke to them i enquired about the broadband upgrades, and i mentioned loyalty, cos i've been with em 5 or 6 years, basically all the time i've not lived at my folks house...but they basically said every time you move house (once a year in my case) it starts on a new contract, so basically loyalty doesn't mean shit to them. cunts.

Do what I did and when your contracts up ring them up and tell them you're off to sky because they dumped sky 1. Don't discuss your options just say that virgin is not value for money.

Long story short I get everything XL (phone broadband tv) for £30 a month.

yeah i'll give it a try...i try that periodically but i'm not that good at that sort of hustling/bartering

EDIT - i just checked the Sky website and it looks to be a lot better for £24 p/m than ntl is for £30!

i just checked the Sky website and it looks to be a lot better for £24 p/m than ntl is for £30!

The price on the Sky website doesn't include the £11 a month line rental you need to pay BT in order to be able to get Sky Broadband. Also, as it's ADSL and not cable, the speed you get is dependent to a large degree on how far you are from the local exchange. You also lose the view on demand services that you get with Virgin Media.

The equivalent Sky package to what you've got with VM is the Starter package. £19 a month, plus £11 to BT, making £30. If you switched to that, your broadband speed would stay the same (theoretically), you would get free evening and weekend calls to landlines (you only get free weekends on VM), but you would get fewer TV channels and you'd lose on demand. Another difference is if something goes wrong. Sky have a call out charge for engineers, and they also charge for repairs to set top boxes. I don't think it's worth switching TBH. I looked into it myself a while ago and decided to stay where I am.

Your other option is to downgrade your TV to the free package, then get one of those Eurovox boxes that I've got. Then you get every channel for free. :p

need to hustle a new mobile first, so need to shop about and look at new contracts and shit.

Virgin do 300 minutes and 300 texts for £10 a month. I'm not sure which phones you can choose from though, but it's worth looking into. I don't want to sound like a VM salesman, but that is cheap. 200 minutes/400 texts per month would cost £30 with O2, for example.

*EDIT*

The actual deals are: -

100 minutes/100 texts + phone - £10 per month

300 minutes/300 texts (SIM only) - £10 per month

Still good if you can pick up a phone on the cheap.

well i get 500 minutes and 1000 texts on vodafone at the moment for £35, and i know i'm never going over that, so i'm looking to see if i can get a similar thing, maybe cheaper...

<a href="http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/price-plans/pay-monthly/flext/18mth-flext-35/sony-ericsson/w910i/overview/" target="_blank">http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phon...w910i/overview/</a>

i reckon that looks ok, cos its got that monthly allowance thing and free weekend calls. need to check into it though...

Steve, are you actually Richard Branson, or another Virgin stakeholder?

i just checked the Sky website and it looks to be a lot better for £24 p/m than ntl is for £30!

The price on the Sky website doesn't include the £11 a month line rental you need to pay BT in order to be able to get Sky Broadband. Also, as it's ADSL and not cable, the speed you get is dependent to a large degree on how far you are from the local exchange. You also lose the view on demand services that you get with Virgin Media.

The equivalent Sky package to what you've got with VM is the Starter package. £19 a month, plus £11 to BT, making £30. If you switched to that, your broadband speed would stay the same (theoretically), you would get free evening and weekend calls to landlines (you only get free weekends on VM), but you would get fewer TV channels and you'd lose on demand. Another difference is if something goes wrong. Sky have a call out charge for engineers, and they also charge for repairs to set top boxes. I don't think it's worth switching TBH. I looked into it myself a while ago and decided to stay where I am.

Your other option is to downgrade your TV to the free package, then get one of those Eurovox boxes that I've got. Then you get every channel for free. :p

You're dead right but this is the sort of shit you need to say on the phone to them. Swallow your pride and pretend to be thick - no matter how much they tell you sky is more expensive just keep saying "yeah but £24 is cheaper than £30 innit, besides I like sky 1". Basically they won't offer you shit unless they genuinely believe that you're going to leave for sky. Don't even mention that you want a better deal just ring em up and say you want to cancel, they WILL ask you why so you say sky is cheaper.

Honestly they tried fobbing me off when I did it but I just told them that I wanted to quit - then it was all "please hold the line" and they came back and offered me the works.

well i get 500 minutes and 1000 texts on vodafone at the moment for £35, and i know i'm never going over that, so i'm looking to see if i can get a similar thing, maybe cheaper...

I must be the daddy at this sort of thing. I was on that deal but then I got a new phone, 200 anytime/network minutes and 100 texts out of vodafone for £10 a month. Again I just said I was leaving to go on virgin payg because I wouldn't spend anymore than £10 a month that way.

I rang up virgin and said look yuo cunts where's sky 1, i'm cancelling my account so i can watch the simpsons in glorious high def, whereupon they pooped themselves and gave me all tv channels incl. sports and movies, phone incl free weekend and evening calls and 4mb broadband for 45 squid a month. i'd only been with them 18 months i think.

• 2 weeks later...

I got 20MB download from Virgin at £45 a month. Main advantage is, it's so fast I don't need a TV (+licence fee) or a SKY whatever. Can download a dvd in about 5 mins flat.

Main reason I'm with Virgin is cause Branson is, apparently, the only Brit with enough balls to tell Murdock to go f' himself.

I really pity people with SKY, they may as well be that guy at the end of clockwork orange for the amount of propergada their exposed too.

And since "Traitor" Lord Grade stuffed the BBC before he moved conveniently to SKY, it's left us nearly as bad off as the US for garbage TV.

check www.bbc5.tv for an antidote to all of this

ALSO,

I was in Asia about 5 years ago and any basic, run of the mill, standard line rental was a minimum of 10MB back then. It's like we've become a 2nd(3rd) world country. Still, our TV keep telling us we're the greatest so ... we must be .... right! :0) he hee