down time

rygon

i know we have been down for a couple of weeks that was out of our hands but i thought it would be nice for you to let us know what was happening...ive been here for a while and wasnt informed..at least i knew it would be back (hopefully) but for newbies they wouldnt have a clue. so i propose is for admin to have every mambers email address to keep them informed incase of down time...and maybe even when the forum comes online for them to give a lil note in the portal bit to keep us informed...i know its the 1st time its happened but still it would be a good idea to keep us informed

I was thinking about this earlier (mass emailing everyone), but as we've been back 5 days now I thought fuck it.

The problem was, we couldn't predict that the site was going to disappear like that. Once it had disappeared, none of the admins could access the section needed to mass email everyone and let them know what's going on. If we can export all the email addresses to a text file, in future we would be OK.

Basically mate - you are right and we'll pay more attention to it if it happens again.

i know we have been down for a couple of weeks that was out of our hands but i thought it would be nice for you to let us know what was happening...ive been here for a while and wasnt informed..at least i knew it would be back (hopefully) but for newbies they wouldnt have a clue. so i propose is for admin to have every mambers email address to keep them informed incase of down time...and maybe even when the forum comes online for them to give a lil note in the portal bit to keep us informed...i know its the 1st time its happened but still it would be a good idea to keep us informed

Ive had a brainwave.

Why dont we create an alternate page for when the site goes down? I mean just on an ftp somewhere. Like a status page just incase the site goes down?

We could put it on here so everyone knows where it is!

Seriously though - we need a list of everyone's email addresses. Then if worst comes to worst we could fall back on DV1. I notice a few people went over there and posted while this place was down.

We could put it on here so everyone knows where it is!

LOl no that wouldnt work... Or are you just being sarcastic? :bold: :((

Maybe Grae could make digitalvertigo.co.uk point to a html file on my blueyonder webspace.. Just in case anything happens. Just so everyone isnt stranded with no idea where the site has gone.

EDIT---------->

Lol i didnt even see the bottom of the post before replying!!

You know how to setup multiple inboxes n stuff in outlook dont you Steve. Could you setup a mailing list or something?

I could do that piece of piss if I had a list of all the member's email addys. I dunno if there's a way to export them all to a text file or something. Just create a new group in Outlook/OE and add all the addresses to it. Then you can send one email that will be sent to the entire group.

I could do that piece of piss if I had a list of all the member's email addys. I dunno if there's a way to export them all to a text file or something. Just create a new group in Outlook/OE and add all the addresses to it. Then you can send one email that will be sent to the entire group.

I cant find a way to export them :(

You could go in to the admin cp and search members with no name. This would show you them all. Although this would mean copy and pasting 245 email address one by one :geek:

there must be a way that any new member joins then there email goes directly to so and so..doesnt help for us joined but for others it would b a help/.....or as some1 sed if it goes down make it link to DV1

which stands for digital vertigo...as in being (opposite of obessive) fearful of technology right?????? (answers to my personal mail box pls......makes it look like ive got friends)

Well what we're in the process of doing is having a page that will display instead of the site if it goes down. It will tell you what's wrong and when the site will come back up and will also have an email address you can click on that will email all 5 admins at once. That's easier than mass emailing people.

yeh but if that happens you could potentially have 100+ ppl emailing you about the same problem...if you could have say another page you could direct ppl to, even if it says we r down..pls come back in 3wks time, it would be less hassle for you and other ppl.

Well we could, but then it's no big deal if they do because it's one email address we've made just for this purpose. We'll make it clear on the page that there's no point emailing us unless it's important. If the site goes down cos of bandwidth, there's nothing we can do but wait until the 1st of the next month so there's no point emailing us about it right? We never have more than about 10 people on the board at the same time so I doubt 100 people would email us! Hehe.

yeh true...but then again this could be the website of the future (ok 2nd website cos ricci rucker would hav made a better 1 way out of our league)

but if you could make a page to display " we r down and hopefully we will be back in "x" days it would be great....and possibly get together with some other boards and say if we r down please visit so and so site...i know may of you visit other sites but im a pure DV breed and dont now of any other existing sites. it helps spread the owrd around that other decent sites exist and also for there members that DV exist

Yeah good idea. We could easily sort out a countdown thing I'm sure. Also, when the Skratch-Alienz site went down a while ago, they linked to here so I think it's cool if we do the same. We have the original DV board in reserve anyway.

fuckin hell rygon has come up with a good idea....centuries has our family and ancestors been trying.

so could we make another place where we can find these links...i dont like to try as last time i ended up joining a hairdressing salon

Guest Deeswift

The answer is http://digitalvertigo.proboards7.com

I was over there quite a few times while this place was down but I didn't see anyone else. It makes perfect sense though, so there's the URL for anyone who doesn't have it (the newer members).

Shit happens though, and we will have to keep an eye on the bandwidth. At least we didn't lost the entire board... like SOS.

Maybe Grae could make digitalvertigo.co.uk point to a html file on my blueyonder webspace.. Just in case anything happens. Just so everyone isnt stranded with no idea where the site has gone.

i could change the dns tags to point back to my webspace, and an info page there. however it takes up to 72 hours to change the dns's (each time)

last time however it took only about 12. it would be a gamble. the dns change lead time could overrun the actual downtime.