I've got a new toy....

Jon

I'm sitting here several hundred pounds poorer with a machine I've wanted since I was 15 and a collection of instruction manuals in it's place. I could not be more happy :)

Yup i bought a second hand (yet barely used- not a scratch on it and the screen was still protected by the peel off plastic) mpc 2500 with fully expanded ram :) An evening of reading through instruction manuals awaits me :)

bah, manuals are for wimps :p

seriously though a quick flick through the quickstart as you're figuring out stuff is all you need to do to start off making stuff on a 2500. i haven't read either of em except to check something, they're easy to get to grips with PLUS once you load on the jj os, certain things don't work the same. i currently use the free version of the jjos, 3.06 iirc. it's very similar to the akai but better. the paid for version, which i've been holding off buying and will probably plump for when the new v2 is out (ignore the numbers, they're confusing), actually looks a little different. the free version of the jjos is definitely worth an immediate upgrade if nothing else for the fact that the chop shop, arguably one of the most important things on the mpc in the first place, is much better.

congrats on your purchase though bro you're gonna have mad fun :)

only problem is the guy i bought it from wiped all the samples off including the samples the unit comes with so I have nothing to play with atm. I don't have any cables for it either besides the ac adaptor so i can't sample from my turns yet. Im going to go to my local music store tomorrow and get some :p

Deffo put JJ os on it and decisive you should spend the $30 and but version 5...it's massively better. I know OS 2 is coming out soon but I'm not too sure about that myself, some features I use alot are being removed, have to wait and see.

one thing i really like the look of on v2 is the non destructive chopping x. you know what i have no idea why nobody has ever implemented though, using the pads to select chops. i'm gonna download v5 now and play with it for a bit, there's no reason i shouldn't get it now- i only held off because i was originally going to swap this mpc for a new one because i realised there was a small scratch and a slightly dented qlink button on it (ie it wasn't bnib) but the problems were so insignificant i never bothered in the end.

you could have bought a ruckazoid one for the same price

FLOL... yup... or a number of other things he obviously didn't want more...

dope! i would also like one :p

I found mine on ebay and saved about £250 on it's average retail value: i contacted the seller and arranged for a viewing and thus saved on the price of postage even with petrol costs. If you're interested in buying one in the near future i'd have a look there beforehand just in case you can find yourself a good deal. The seller offered me the extra disc drive for an extra £100 but I didn't have the cash for one at the time and seeing the 2500 has a usb connection I don't really need one as I can send files from cds to and from my laptop to the unit.

Just using one during the preparation and performance for my set with button basher and eddie got me hooked. I can probably do the vast majority of what the mpc can do with logic, recycle and a midi controller, but there's just something about the mpc that attracted me. Plus I think it's perfect for live drumming and sample triggering.