Rusty/Button Basher/Eddie Bryan Live at Bacchus- Audio Uploaded

Jon

This Thursday I played a set with a band consisting of myself on turntables and a little bit of mpc, jack aka button basher on synth/ mpc and eddie bryan on drums and here is the audio from the event.We planned and rehearsed the set in two days and this is our first public performance as a group. The recording was recorded through Eddie's mixer into his laptop and is quite trebly in places and doesn't capture the bass end of the electronic instruments at times. We didn't have monitors on the night so we couldn't hear all that well (as can be heard in my mixing on the when the last time remix when i accidently cued up a JT song rather than the bassline loop!) but we did our best and here it is. Thanks to all those who came down including Kutklass who showed support from the DV crew!

Download link: click

Track-listing:

[Tuning etc with Buddy Peace on the wheels of steel]

1. Intro

2. Mr Scruff- Spandex Man

3. Rusty Pelican's- Back to Life

4.Improv Interlude No 1

5. RUN DMC versus Aerosmith- Walk this way

6. Drum machine vs drum battle

7.Improv Interlude No 2

8. Gangstarr- Now You're Mine/House of Pain-I'm A Swing It/Clipse- When the Last Time

9. Drum Interlude

10.Jurassic 5 -What's Golden Intro

11. Jurassic 5- What's Golden

12.Button Basher/Rusty- Anima Remix

13.Herbie Hancock- Rockit

14 Improv (in it's truest sense as we had nothing else planned!)

My cuts are sketchy in places due to nerves/lack of monitors but I really enjoyed myself and had a great night. If you liked it keep your eyes open on the forum because Button Basher and I are working on a collab ep sharing production/writing duties and we're already talking about coming up with a longer set with more original material with Eddie.

Thanks to anyone who checks this, comments would be appreciated (I already think we should do some mic work and more crowd control)! cheers

Peace

Jon

listening now...tis well cool. Up to the first Improv and it's hot. I've almost got a live set up and running with a friend of mine, mpc's synths and visuals. Would love to hear some of your thoughts on how the night went and what you did wrong/right. sounding good!

cheers for checking it! let me know what u think when you've heard the whole thing. only thing i'd advise is somehow doing some crowd participation whether on a mic or through your visuals. oh and prepare an encore just in case so you don't have to make up one on the spot like we did! we were going to get some visuals involved but didn't have the time as it was hard enough organizing practice sessions around the xmas period with everyone busy with their families etc.

yo... The whole set's pretty hot man. I really enjoyed whatever you guys were doing from about 13 minutes to 16:30. That jam there is the business for sure. What synth is buttonbasher on? Your scratches were fresh throughout, especially for an entire live set (no retakes up there). Rockit was hot, definitely a cool cover to throw in there and your solo scratches were tasty too. and the intro from 22:30 to 24:30. you should turn that into a proper deep dj shadow type track, just jam a bassline in at 24:30.

Constructively, i would suggest:

1. Stealing Eddie's toms. Hip hop is about kicks, snares and hats, maybe 1 cymbal. If his kits bigger than that kick the other bits off stage! I was in a ten piece hip hop band for a while, and we switched drums from 1 dude with a full kit, to another dude with a 3 piece kit. We just sounded ALOT more hip hop with the second dude.

2. Don't blow your wad too early. I hang with a lot of improv muso's and they say this all the time. start with a simple simple riff, whether it's a lead or a bassline, lay down a groove, then after the groove is established you can go off on a tangent. Mainly that comes down to button basher holding off a bit, as he's obviously a very talented keyboard player. Get him to check out more herbie hancock for examples of not blowing your wad(Chameleon anyone).

3. Did you have a sound guy on the night? Since you're a real, fully fledged band now, you need a proper sound guy. Hard to say without seeing you guys play it all, but it sounded like button basher was splitting his keyboard and playing basslines and leads at the same time at one point? depending on his synth, he should be able to send 2 signals to the desk, and the sound guy can balance them out for you. same goes for the MPC. It's impossible to do your own sound, and a good sound guy can make or break your entire act. (plus he might even organise some much needed foldback for you guys!)

4. You guys were definitely the coolest when you were doing the tracks yourself. Get in the rehearsal room for a month and get 45 minutes worth of original material. you guys will be gods!

All up it was an awesome first gig man, looking forward to the next installment!

yo... The whole set's pretty hot man. I really enjoyed whatever you guys were doing from about 13 minutes to 16:30. That jam there is the business for sure. What synth is buttonbasher on? Your scratches were fresh throughout, especially for an entire live set (no retakes up there). Rockit was hot, definitely a cool cover to throw in there and your solo scratches were tasty too. and the intro from 22:30 to 24:30. you should turn that into a proper deep dj shadow type track, just jam a bassline in at 24:30.

Constructively, i would suggest:

1. Stealing Eddie's toms. Hip hop is about kicks, snares and hats, maybe 1 cymbal. If his kits bigger than that kick the other bits off stage! I was in a ten piece hip hop band for a while, and we switched drums from 1 dude with a full kit, to another dude with a 3 piece kit. We just sounded ALOT more hip hop with the second dude.

2. Don't blow your wad too early. I hang with a lot of improv muso's and they say this all the time. start with a simple simple riff, whether it's a lead or a bassline, lay down a groove, then after the groove is established you can go off on a tangent. Mainly that comes down to button basher holding off a bit, as he's obviously a very talented keyboard player. Get him to check out more herbie hancock for examples of not blowing your wad(Chameleon anyone).

3. Did you have a sound guy on the night? Since you're a real, fully fledged band now, you need a proper sound guy. Hard to say without seeing you guys play it all, but it sounded like button basher was splitting his keyboard and playing basslines and leads at the same time at one point? depending on his synth, he should be able to send 2 signals to the desk, and the sound guy can balance them out for you. same goes for the MPC. It's impossible to do your own sound, and a good sound guy can make or break your entire act. (plus he might even organise some much needed foldback for you guys!)

4. You guys were definitely the coolest when you were doing the tracks yourself. Get in the rehearsal room for a month and get 45 minutes worth of original material. you guys will be gods!

All up it was an awesome first gig man, looking forward to the next installment!

yo cheers for the in-depth response man, I really appreciate your advice. The synth button basher is using is a Roland SH201:

1. We stripped down Eddie's kit alot from what he's used to: he's traditionally a metal drummer (click here to see one of his solo routines) and is used to a very large kit. Before we started rehearsing I was in the mind set that he was going to be using a very basic kit as you suggest but when I saw what he could do on a traditional rock kit I thought it'd be cool to use that at least for this first show. I'll suggest stripping down the kit further to him and we'll see what happens- I just don't want to limit him when it comes down to his solo parts in the show.

3. We didn't have a sound guy on the night as it was just us and the host dj so I did the balance between myself and Jack through my mixer (we daisy chained two mixers together so I could EQ the turntables, mpc and synth individually). Yes Basher was spliiting his keyboard so his left hand was playing the bass part and his right was doing lead but as we were only using traditional dj mixers we didn't have the option of splitting the signal which I agree would have been beneficial. We were unfortunate that the venue had already hired out its pa in advance for the night and as we dont have one of our own all I was able to do in terms of monitoring was to give Eddie a headphone monitor from the master mixer.

4. I agree that more of our own live material will work best. Jack and I are working on an ep at the moment and have one track pretty much complete-I've just got cuts to do- and have a second in the works. We were going to perform more of jack's solo experimental stuff but weren't sure how it was going to be accepted so decided just to do the remix of Anima. Unfortunately we won't be able to perform again together until probably the summer as Jack is currently studying in Leicester whilst Eddie and I are studying in Surrey but I'm sure we'll sort some stuff out soon.

I really appreciate the time you took out to listen and give a long reply. Thank you very much. Keep me posted on your band's stuff, I'm really interested to hear how that progresses.

Peace

Jon

you guys were getting pretty funky there nice work.

Cuts and keys were great and i liked the grooves the drummer was putting down, but it sounds like he has some problems coming out of his fills on tempo

overall very enjoyable to listen to man great stuff there