Suprnova.org DOWN !!

easydrop

Adware really ISN'T the same as spyware, Sigma. I agree that in either case the productis  undesirable, but there is a vast difference between, say, a data miner or a pop-up. Some adware supported programs feature adware on a quite open level, DivX for instance. To me, this is pretty far removed from the spyware that almost inevitably contaminates PC's by stealth.

Having said that, I do not allow either onto my computer, and the inclusion of adware lead me to finally give up on DivX altogether after being a strong supporter for many years.

I really don't see why adware still exists though, surely this undesirable and intrusive form of marketing does not show your company in a very good light? If I had annoying recurrant pop-ups for, say, Saab, then I would probabbly be swayed away from purchasing a Saab. I can't envisage a situation under which I would buy a product on the recommendation of adware..... :s

I agree with you liam to a certain extent. The only problem is not alot of peopl would be swayed to not buy a product because of the company sending ad ware. Advertising has one simple goal, to get the products name or companies name out there, that's the main one at least. As long as the ocnsumer here's it enough, they'll know about it. For instance saab, you get a pop up with a brand new Saab in the window showing you the leather seats and the whol shebang or waht not, now probaly only 1 in 100 will click on it, but even if you see the ad for a second, your brain will still remember it a little. For you, i'm sure this marketing doesn't work, for alot of people that marketing doesn't work, but for compulsive shoppers, it's a gimme. And for people that aren't experienced with computers, it's a gimme. I mean it's probably one of the cheapest ways to advertise right, i mean it cant be anywhere as expensive as a TV commercial or pages in magazines, so that's probably why they do it. Also say AMD did pop ups advertising computers with AMD 64 chips, that wouldn't sawy me form not buying those computers, or that chip. I know it's a good product so i'll buy it anyways...

Guest Deeswift
does DAP still contain spyware?

I like Internet Download Accelerator better, for the times I occasionally need a DL manager. No spyware either. Used to use DAP but really, I think it sucks now.

Also say AMD did pop ups advertising computers with AMD 64 chips, that wouldn't sawy me form not buying those computers, or that chip.  I know it's a good product so i'll buy it anyways...

Word to that. Come to think of it, AMD ads are the only ones I don't block in my browser, sad as it may seem! What can I say though... A64 rocks.