Suprnova.org DOWN !!

easydrop

Guest Deeswift

I hope Loki manages to fight them off, it's a good site that I've been using for quite a long time and I'd hate to see it shut down. Best of luck to 'em.

What are your thoughts on Exeem, btw? There's a beta available now but it's pretty useless. I'd expect a proper version to be out soon though. I did have a look at the beta though, which looks kinda like a simplified Kazaa mixed with BitTorrent.

I haven't tried Exeem. According to the interview with Sloncek of Suprnova that was knocking about, the final version will have spyware built into it and although some of that will be optional, shit like Cydoor will be compulsory. Sounds wank to me mate - a great idea spoiled by adware.

I think you're bang on with the comparison to Kazaa too. It'll be flooded with fake files and viruses in no time, as Suprnova was beginning to be.

Guest Deeswift

Spyware, eh? Well obviously I won't be touching it then. That fucking sucks man! I knew it will be somewhat ad driven to pay for costs, but Cydoor? Forget it. Wonder if someone will create a "special version", kinda like the equivalent of K-Lite?

I do know that users are able to comment on files and rate them, so maybe fake files and viruses won't actually be a major problem because they'll get weeded out?

That would be the only hope for it - that someone creates an "Exeem-Lite". I imagine they will as it's happened with most other ad-supported popular programs.

I get the feeling Exeem is a bit of a con in some way though. I never liked the way Suprnova was plastered with ads and in the forums, the mods would try and promote people clicking on them. Now they're saying that adware is not the same as spyware and essentially it's acceptable. Bullshit!

its been a long while since i paid for music (other than vinyl of course)

music theft is an old game though.

i guess the forerunner to "torrents" or "p2p" was probably hifi's with tape to tape / high speed dubbing.

course it was, 95% of my music collection was on cassette until about 1997, now cassettes are near-obselete.

admittedly I am no angel, I will download hiphop and if it floats my boat buy the wax, other than that I download mixes.

whatever format or trick the MPAA try there will always be piracy in some shape or form and I think for them to consider this is a completely bad thing is very blinkered, I see it as part of my musical education and a stepping stone to investing in good artist's work

Adware really ISN'T the same as spyware, Sigma. I agree that in either case the productis undesirable, but there is a vast difference between, say, a data miner or a pop-up. Some adware supported programs feature adware on a quite open level, DivX for instance. To me, this is pretty far removed from the spyware that almost inevitably contaminates PC's by stealth.

Having said that, I do not allow either onto my computer, and the inclusion of adware lead me to finally give up on DivX altogether after being a strong supporter for many years.

I really don't see why adware still exists though, surely this undesirable and intrusive form of marketing does not show your company in a very good light? If I had annoying recurrant pop-ups for, say, Saab, then I would probabbly be swayed away from purchasing a Saab. I can't envisage a situation under which I would buy a product on the recommendation of adware..... :s

most software that has some sort of internet update / connectivity will have "spyware" in it.

periodically i run adaware and it finds a zillion "adware" thingies on my pc. i remove them, it runs the same as it did when they were there. no point gettting all excited about it.

not good to disregard something because it has "spyware". try it first and see if the "spyware" is a problem.

as for adverts, or banners in programs. just ignore them.

Guest Deeswift
But lokitorrent is full with ads too!!

Has anyone tried shareaza? Emule is my fave at the mo.. All the files there get rated so its easy to spot a fake!

The solution to any ads (for me anyway) is Firefox with the Ad-block extension. Just a matter of right-clicking the ad and blocking it, or blocking all ads from that server.

eMule rocks, once you get used to it. I've had more good quality files, and rare jazz / fusion / prog shit from there than anywhere else on the net. I only usually search for zip / archives, I don't bother with single tracks. You don't seem to get archives on Soulseek and all those programs though.

Regarding piracy, I see nothing wrong with the "try before you buy" approach. I would love to buy every recording in my collection, and one day I hope to own most of it on CD. Some of it, no -- much of it, is impossible to find anyway, so I have no choice but to download. It's either download it or never hear it in my life... But regarding software piracy, take something like Photoshop -- I could never afford to buy it, so what's up with downloading some software you wouldn't have bought anyway? No loss in sales there for anyone.

And no one can tell Sigma -- the king of anti-spyware -- about spyware... hehe.

i put spyware in quotes when it's not known whether or not it is "spying" (doh quotes again) or its just part of the program.

is windows update "spyware" ?

what about that real player? thats always connecting to the net.

and my logitech mouseware is too. spyware again?

Spyware reports usage statistics to certain companies. Windows Updates isn't spyware, because you are allowing the site access to your machine specifically to examine the OS and provide updates to it. When you're not on the site, it has no access.

If you have no problem with bits of software running all the time and using the Internet for unknown tasks then that's fine. Personally I like to know what's running on my machine, if only to keep it streamlined and running the best it can. The fact you're even asking me why Real Player and your mouse software is trying to connect to the net all the time just shows you don't particularly care.

i dont want bits of software running all the time and using the internet for unknown tasks!!!

and i wasnt asking why realplayer was connecting to the net, but asking whether it was classed as spyware.

Yeah it is because it reports usage statistics. Lists of all the files you've played using it are sent to Real and probably sold off or used for something or other.

When it's trying to access the net when you're not using it, it's more than likely the updater which can be disabled in the options. (It's probably the same thing with your mouse software.)

Different versions of Real Player are worse than others for being a pain in the arse. I use the version you can download from the BBC's website because it supposedly has all the dodgy elements removed. It doesn't ask to connect to the net unless I'm streaming a video, so it seems OK.

I think the only program I use that might be described as containing adware is Trustyfiles. It displays a small ads window in the program itself but only while it's running. I don't have a problem with that at all - it's only the same as an ad banner being displayed on a website. It's the shite that installs something you can't switch off (not easily anyway) or that adds new toolbars to your browser or changes your homepage etc. etc.