Distortion!

Hey all , was just wondering if someone could offer me some sound advice. I just moved to uni and took all my equipment with me. When i set my equipment up and started spinnin sum tracks I noticed heavy distortion thru my speakers. I thought it may of been the speakers and so I went back home and changed my speakers for another pair. When i set these up there was also distortion. Basically im confused to what causes this distortion. I figured if it was the speakers then the distortion wouldnt come through my headphones but it does and iv tried several pairs and still the same outcome. I went out the next day and bought new needles and theres still distortionso im stuck. could it be my mixer ( elcler nuo 2 3 yrs old which iv used in clubs n stuff), cartridges ? crossfader? I dont have a clue and i dont really want to start spending unecessary money so any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Rasko

If it comes through your headphones, to me it implies that there's something wrong with the mixer. If it's a technical problem with the decks, it would be unlikely to affect both at the same time, and it's getting distorted before reaching the amp, so it's unlikely to be the amp or speakers.

How's it going anyway man? LTNS!

Safe dude u cool ? im good man just moved to nottingham! Yer i thought it may be, but i was trying to look for a kind of fluctuation by toggling with wires or slightly liftin up the mixer but no response. Do u reckon i should consider gettinga new mixer. I have used it out and about a lot but surely it should last longer than 2 years. One thing is that i bought sum fader cleaner from hard to find used it, then realised that they sent me switch cleaning fader with a fader cleaner label on top, so that could of fukd it ?

How close are your speakers? Also, just to be sure I understand you, you get the distortion both through the speakers AND when the speakers are off and u are just listening thru ur headphones?? Out of curiosity, are ur slip mats real thin (like the thud rumble mats) b/c I've heard that can cause issues with some setups

i think that even if you arent playing vinyl and you have a bad ground then you will hear the feedback. Id look at the amp personally. Is this grounded with the mixer?? have you got your wires into the speakers/amp/mixer properly. Start of with one deck....make it the most basic setup you can then fault find from there...change channels/leads/speakers/decks/needles etc and see how it goes..make sure all the levels are set to no more than 0dB as anything over will give you a certain amount of distortion..go too far and it clips the level giving looadds of distortion (>8dBapprox)

Don't take it the worng way or owt but are you set up properly? You haven't got your turns going into the line ins or something have you? That seems the most obvious thing if it only started happening when you moved your set up.

Also are you keeping unity gain until the output stage. You're not driving it too high at mixer level and then attenuating it further along the chain are you?