Cd sales have dropped 50% since 2000

FreeiPod

not happening fast enough for my liking. I made a prediction 2 years ago that 5 years from that day cd's would barely be getting sold at all, and HMV's would turn into wierd futuristic coffee shops, with download kiosks everywhere, and big comfy couchs for people to chill on, drink coffee and listen to music.

Only 3 years to go!!

i heard at a meeting last year that the music industry believes the largest retailer of music in the world will be starbucks in a few years...

coz you'll just go in and get coffee and dl your shit...

that is if your a ponce who drinks coffee ...

or a wanker who wants to be seen reading a book in public...

do starbucks do that shit yet??? i've never been in one,... and i never will.

i dont drink tea or coffe and i dont hang out with pretentious tossers..., well maybe a few...

the link contains news.ars

what a great address

heh i used to work in a starbucks. you can buy the cds they play but it's pretentious 'lounge jazz' and so on. the clientele is generally a bunch of nobs you're right. you can always tell a nob by them saying "can i get..." instead of "can i have" when you're serving them.

ive noticed the hmv bags have now got hmv digital written across it...and its top dog for downloads

but what did they expect with the price of cds staying so high

I was looking for half a dozen CDs the other week. I found them on Amazon, and apart from 1, they were all £4.97. I think the other was £6.99. I can see the advantage of picking and choosing tracks off albums, but I don't think price is that big of an argument these days as CDs are way cheaper than they were a few years ago.

^^Yeah, maybe TLC and the Spice Girls! Most stuff I want (Fela Kuti for example) is usually $15-30... and that dude is dead so it's not like he's making any $$ off of it!

I like vinyl and CDs. I begrudge paying more for something that's worse sound quality, isn't even a physical item, and gives you no rights of first sale.

Me too... But labels need to do some serious rethinking of their packaging... make it relevant! Add a T-shirts exclusive to the CD/record or stickers or a poster in every package or do promotions like a "golden ticket" in a few CDs! It would be well worth it and they have a budget for promo schwag like that anyways. Look at beck's new album--full of an entire bad-ass sticker pack! The point is, you can't download a shirt. ...if they want to remain viable they need to adjust their business model accordingly.

Yeah, maybe TLC and the Spice Girls!

Are you spying on me? :p

The problem is, it's far cheaper and more convenient to sell MP3s. A label only has to send a single MP3 to a site and it can be sold an unlimited amount of times. Cheap manufacturing and distribution costs. No need for huge amounts of physical storage space. Instant delivery. For those reasons, I'm surprised people aren't complaining about the price of digital downloads, rather than CDs and vinyl cos I'm sure there's a lot more profit in selling MP3s.

So it would appear that they've taken a single year that enjoyed exceptionally high sales, then compared it to present day. Any statistician could take this to pieces without any additional info. How about we look at the big fucking picture, CD's have been around for two and a half decades and don't meet the needs of todays consumer. But, as Steve rightly points out, Joe Consumer feels apprehensive about buying a product with an unreasonably high cost, is laced with horrible DRM and doesn't even have a 'proper' physical manifestation. Yet in spite of this, downloads have grown to be an incredible cash cow, despite an industry that is very unwilling to accept the changing climate.

It's all straight bullshit. CD's are far, far too cheap to manufacture, and installed capacity within the manufacturing industry is vast, so don't expect any revolutionary technological advances from the 'real' industry, just plodding half assed pseudo-advances (*cough* SACD *cough*) that barely take advantage of the existing techniques, let alone new ones.