Technics tone arm swap

Sublimity

S-shape tone arms work just fine if you got a Shure cart setup properly. If you're having skipping problems you need to sort your cart and maybe develop a lighter touch...if you're not having skipping problems then why do you need a straight arm.

It's just my oppinion so it up to you but by my reasoning if you want a Technics deck then get a technics, if you want a straight arm deck get a straight arm deck. Reason being when you play out on different setups I can guarentee they will either be technics with an S arm or some other straight arm deck but they will never be a straight arm technics.

I used to have a set of technical drawings for a Technics straight arm. I did think about either making it myself, or having it made by the metalworkers on my old street. In the end I thought better of it -I'd just be doing it for the sake of it, the S-arm works perfectly fine for my needs, and I've always found S-arms to be much more natural to handle anyway.

Focus spent a long time banging on about straight arm Techs, and I think he even sold a bunch of kits -although, as I've previously outlined in another thread I don't think he really knows his arsehole from his elbow sometimes.

If the prospect of a straight arm on your Tech is appealling, then go for it. It really shouldn't be that hard, and it's totally reversable. Have look under the arm, you'll see two screws at either end which secure the arm. The first pair are underneath the mount at the gymbal end, the second set are on the arm itself at the headshell screw end. Providing you use the correct guage of tube and work out a correct length to within, say, 5mm, then you can correct via the stylus overhang (although not with Concorde style carts, but these aren't really suited to straight-arms anyway).

If I still had those plans I'd definately post 'em up. Shame I don't. Feel free to ask if you need any help, though.