ISPs to disconnect people sharing music

Steve

As illegal file-sharing eats into its battered revenues, the music industry is taking its anti-piracy fight to the world's major internet service providers.

Big names such as BT, Tiscali and NTL will be in the sights of global lobby group IFPI as it urges them to disconnect customers who share music illegally or else face government rules.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...1993045,00.html

When illegal file sharing stops (if it ever does) will be a good day.

I agree with that statement, but probabbly for VERY different reasons to you. I want to see an end to the questionable legality of such activity.

The phenomenon of the music industry as big business is a recent one, and clearly not sustainable. I won't lose any sleep if we finally leave the era where people aspire to become musicians and make millions, and return to a time where artists earn an honest living doing what they love.

We're contantly told we're 'hurting the music industry'. Sure, the major labels are hurting, but it's their own fault -clinging to an outdated business model instead ofconsidering change, fucking legitimate users over with clumsy DRM implimentation, not to mention barefaced lies about copyright infringement activity -I LOVE the RIAA's method of categorising duplication equipment; If you have a 52x CD burner, then by their bookwork, that's the same as having 52 CD burners, lol.

For decades the music industry has had a grip on an exceptionally lucrative industry. But these days are over, and given the quality of some of the shite the major labels put their full weight behind, I say it isn't a moment too soon

/rant

Sure, the major labels are hurting, but it's their own fault -clinging to an outdated business model instead ofconsidering change

I agree totally. They need to adapt. It was the same when Napster and the like first came out. They could have opened up their back catalogues right from the beginning and made a legal download service, but they did nothing like that for years and by then there were numerous ways to get music for free. DRM has gotta go too, because there's always a way around it and the tighter the restrictions get, the more people think fuck it, I'll get DRM free stuff off a P2P. The way the RIAA have treated people hasn't helped either.

I think the French government's idea was a good one (even though they didn't go through with it) - get ISPs to charge people a subsidy that goes to the music industry and make downloading legal. They're never gonna stop illegal downloading, and huge fines are clearly not enough to put people off, so why not?

how many isps would go for this though...they know that ppl use the internet for d/l free music etc and if they had to find out who exactly did that and disconnect them, how many customers and money would they lose. I think they would say its the riaa's problem let them sort it out. Cant see how they could legally make them do it anyway.

Also, with pirated films, i much prefer these due to the fact that legally bought cds have so much crap at the start that you cant skip. if that was removed then i would definately buy more dvds

It says there mainly going for the uploaders right now.So downloaders would be pretty safe for now. But i agree with you on the major's not adjusting. The future will be run by indie labels any way , i only read the other week there was a group in the top 20 who were unsigned , because there internet sales alone had propeeled them there , its crazy.