NI Kontakt Sampler Question

Sideshow

This really applies to using any kind of software sampler through a sequencer like cubase

What i want to do is load a sample into intakt and control it via a midi track in cubase

The thing i can't do is effect the volume in real time when the sample is triggered

Using vsti's the main volume midi controller changes the volume after a sound has started playing, unlike velocity which determines how loud it is triggered to begin with

With the samplers (Intakt or battery) only the velocity controller effects the sample level

Once it has started playing i can't fade the sample

Is it possible without editing the sample?

Create a midi track, open the vst instruments window and load a version of kontakt in a free slot then set the Output on the midi track to the kontakt instance you just loaded. Only thing to note is make sure you've got the right midi channel select!

Not sure what you're trying to to here - do you want to vary the samples volume after it has started playing from a fixed velocity, or do you just want to trigger it at different velocities?

Try and explain more clearly, and describe what you would like the end result to be.

either way, x2ks solution should have the same effect.

Not sure what you're trying to to here - do you want to vary the samples volume after it has started playing from a fixed velocity, or do you just want to trigger it at different velocities?

exactly what you said banano

i want to fade a sample in/out after it has been triggered

with a vsti, the midi volume controller effects the sound after it has been triggered, but with the samplers it seems to have no effect

I think what he means is to be able to get the volume of a track to fade over time, but not just make each midi note play at a different volume, as that wouldnt be truly 'fading'.

using cubase sx 22033

i tried it on kontakt & battery2, both do the same thing

the easiest way to imagine what i'm saying is if you have a 2 bar drum loop as a key in the sampler

i'd want to trigger it, then fade it out as it played

i expected it just to work with the midi volume that's why i thought there may be some other trick to do it on samplers that i don't know

from what you're saying it should work.....

MIDI automation was missing from the first release of SX2 and external hardware support was a bit shit as well - so make sure you have the latest version. also tell us what you are using as a controller (i.e. make model). also check that the track isn't in 'read' mode as it will ignore anything you do if this is the case.