now THAT'S how you should release vinyl

stalk

are there still machines to press flexies in existence? I wanna get one, lol, I think it'd be ill...

It's really expensive. Hence, Scratch Live was a huge success.

To be honest, you'd be lucky to find 'discarded' xray film anywhere.... it gets reused

When I was a little kid, I remember getting a series of stories free from Woolworths on flexies. Couldn't have been more than 5 or 6, but even then I remember that they only lasted a few plays before going shit. They were completely clear.

My mate's dad is a serious vinyl collector. He's got a huge assortment of flexies, mainly from HIFI covermounts back when he was in his early 20's. They're mainly black, not clear, though.

I don't see any real reason why a vinyl cutter couldn't cut onto sheet plastic like this, say the vinylium dubplate cutter that sits on a 1200. It might take some tweaking to ensure it doesn't cut too deep, who knows. It'd be fun to build one, anyway -perhaps an inkjet print mechanism could be adapted to sit atop a 12 like the DPC does. That's the easy bit, anyway -the cutting head is the real challenge, any ideas?

I don't see any real reason why a vinyl cutter couldn't cut onto sheet plastic like this, say the vinylium dubplate cutter that sits on a 1200. It might take some tweaking to ensure it doesn't cut too deep, who knows. It'd be fun to build one, anyway -perhaps an inkjet print mechanism could be adapted to sit atop a 12 like the DPC does. That's the easy bit, anyway -the cutting head is the real challenge, any ideas?

The vinylium guys got their store right around the corner where I live. I'll pass the article to them.

Anyways, thanks for posting that article, very interesting read.