2 problems with my pc

airnino

first problem:

when i start my pc for the first time of the day it sometimes "freezes" within a few minutes. but it's not just slowed down by ram problems, it really "freezes". the only thing i can do than is hit reset. that happens about every second day (50% ish). could the power supply (almost 3 years old) be the problem?

second problem:

since a few days i see little vertical lines appearing and disappearing on my monitor. just like some flickering. i suppose that means it's about to die soon isn't is?

Nope, not the Power supplies can last up to ten years,besides it wouldn't freeze it would restart or shut off completely.

AT what stage does it freeze, once you get to the main desktop screen or while still in the boot phase before login screen? Could be a stale bloated OS.Could be a faulty application.Does it give a bluescreen?

Second problem- vertical lines seems either Graphics or Monitor. SInce you probably have onboard graphics I would say it could be the monitor most probably.

Could be long term effect of speakers too close to monitor. Or the monitor is reaching the end of days.

word thanks

as with the freezing: the pc boots regularly. than when i'm on the net, like after 5 to 10 minutes, the desktop freezes meaning downloads stop, mouse curser doesn't move, clock doesn't move etc. but as i said it's defenately not just going real slow due to ram issues imo.

One thing to do is to check whether this is network related which could mean malware, is to turn off your internet connection, boot up then do some random stuff for 10 minutes and see if the PC freezes, then turn on the connection while still booted and see if it freezes once network is turned on. If it does freeze once you turn the network on it could be a browser bug(doub it) or some sort of malware or antivirus scanner corrupted drivers, in which case reinstall either browser or AV...then you need to look at running processes via HIjack this and doing a thorough malware scan with all the spyware scanner jobbies with up to date definitions.

Could even be old hardware tired from dust or just old.

It's hard to say whether you've got hardware issues or software issues on the info given. And troubleshooting hardware on a potentially fucked OS is always going to be a bit hit-or-miss.

I'd get a clean install on there if at all possible. But before that, I'd try the memory modules -if you're running two or more modules, run them individually. I developed a similar problem recently, removing the offending RAM fixed it. The system was rock solid stable up until then, it suddenly developed the fault without explanation. Decent TwinMOS RAM, too.

What FP says about the PSU not causing lock ups is not entirely true; system instability can be caused by the voltage on a particular rail dropping a bit low due to the system demanding too much power. This isn't the kind of fault that would develop over time, though, more likely when you add extra components -and more often than not in such cases, the system won't even boot.

Remove EVERY non-essential peripheral and work your way back up to try and isolate the problem. A little more info wouldn't go amiss...

• 1 month later...