when did old school stop and new school start

that guy from P.A.

Guest Broken Sword

According to people in the Zulu Nation, 'old school' in the true sense means before hip-hop was put on wax, but I think you could say it goes like this:

old school: 1970-1985

golden era: 1986-1993

modern era: 1994-now

wikipedia will back me up on this

'new school' doesn't really refer to everything after '94, it's more like another way of saying 'avant garde'.

Edited by Broken Sword

I'm leaning towards the Zulu nation version. But I guess it all depends on your age and when you got into Hip Hop. My own feeling is that there's good and bad Hip Hop. And it seems that it's only as the continuing tsunami of bad Hip Hop gathers speed that I appreciate older Hip Hop even more.

i guess it does really depend on how old you are. the years are constantly gonna change from whats old school and new. i would say it has to be at least 10 to 15 years old to be considered old school. but the golden era thats gonna remain the same. from '88 to '94. give or take a year or two. '96 '97 brought us that shiny suit wave your rolex bullshit. and its been down hill ever since. 10 years of wackness and still holding strong. i think around 97 or 98 was when i started getting more into underground. then around 2000 was when i started buying up all the old hip-hop. shit that i missed when i was younger.

well........i'd def go with africa bam...but 95 was still some real dope shit being dropped...

but i agree overall the last 10 years have sucked....i keep waiting...for like tha hip hop "nirvana" 2 come along...and put all the people that have no real fans that are just industry pushed out of the biz

black sheep were new school Earlier 1990's thats the new school.

Word... don't know WTF poeple are talking bout--97 new skool! WTF!? Fresh Prince was new skool. De La was new skool, Black sheep was new skool, Tribe, Digible Planets...... all that shit. BUT don't forget there was shit in that same time period that wasn't new skool (example: NWA).

Get the fuck outta here saying 2pac and shit out in '97 was new skool! I don't know what that would be... but it ain't that. Pre-millinium shhit or something.

Guest pokemon sauce

yeah but that stuff would be considered old school by todays standards. if you play GTA:San Andreas then they have a hip-hop station and an old school hip-hop station, you can probably work out when the exact date of the split happened from listening to the artists there..

black sheep were new school Earlier 1990's thats the new school.

Word... don't know WTF poeple are talking bout--97 new skool! WTF!? Fresh Prince was new skool. De La was new skool, Black sheep was new skool, Tribe, Digible Planets...... all that shit. BUT don't forget there was shit in that same time period that wasn't new skool (example: NWA).

Get the fuck outta here saying 2pac and shit out in '97 was new skool! I don't know what that would be... but it ain't that. Pre-millinium shhit or something.

okay, if your still stuck in '94 (and im not trying to clown you) then tribe, de la and them are new skool. hell, technically the new school started when leaders of the new school droped. but going off of that standard. saying that only caz, flash, funky 4 +1 and them are old school and the rest is new. then when is the new school gonna end? when will there be the next school? im saying that whats new and whats old is always gonna change as long as the earth revolves. shit, im damn near 30 years old. so for me, old school is like from '96 and earlier. i've been listening to hip hop since the early 80's. i got an older brother, so thats how i got my hands on alot of stuff. im not one of them that just jumped on board when lil zane droped.

i ain't stuck in 94 i just know my hip hop demi-graphics.

you can't argue with the facts.

The New school was a phrase used for a certain time,like the golden years and the jiggy years.

Black Sheep ,Tribe Etc were the second generation so they were the new school.

yup. The 90s was the best ish! ....As far as the term "old school" goes--I think u have to set definitions to the verbage before you can really argue it. True, the 90s rap is now considered "oldies" or "old school". But that is just to young bucks... Old Skool is really the beginning of the rap scene/game. What I think needs to be noted is that these definitions that either have been assigned or we are assigning refer more than anything to styles than they do to actual time periods. Although it must also be noted that the styles have a distinct place in time too... However, eras do not have a starting and stopping point--they always overlap into each other...