Anyone using M-Audio Torq?

x2k

I'm wandering what it's like for cutting/juggle? Does it stand up to the task and how does it compare to serato.

I'm not overly interest in the many features and things like that, there are only 2 things which are important to me. 1) Does scratching sound good enough and easy enough to record cuts onto tracks with customer samples? 2) Is it good enough to build custom routines on?

I think you might be misled as to the features, it's not really a cutting/juggling box as far as I can tell... just a $99 USB mixing solution. Having said that, it looks nice enough for a bit of simple mp3 DJ'ing, I'd certainly risk the asking price for a play.

I can pretty much guarantee it won't operate at a lower total system latency than Serato (it's still pretty close though - and perfectly good enough for scratching and juggling IMO).

Haven't used it, but it's a decent price for the set (make sure you buy the package WITH the control vinyl included).

I guess we will get a review unit sometime at Skratchworx.

I cut on it and the sample seemed to drift at NAMM. :s

They are suppose to fix some of the bugs. I would go to there forum or email a rep.

That's the kinda thing I was worried about, that and things like how well does it cope with heavy handed tears and shit.

Most of these programs will drift unless in an absolute positioning mode - but then you lose the skipless style protection and using any place in the record as you wish.

I think Serato now has a hybrid mode which has benefits of both styles.

Maybe I meant Torq & Conectiv, basically they is a package which consists of a fisher price looking audio interface, the software & the control record for just under £200...

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...roduct_id/14730

Damn, I've been sleeping!

£200 is nice, especially as it has ASIO support from the word go. Did they get round to adding that to Serato yet?

I can pretty much guarantee it won't operate at a lower total system latency than Serato

What's the evidence for that?

Cos Serato is best and someone has already shown the total latency to be around 12ms. Though that's only 4ms more than Serato it is 50% LONGER stat fans.

Clearly it's shit then.

Ermmmm.... is the best you SW guys can come up with is because "someone" tested it? Tested with what? Read it off a press release? Help me out here guys, I'm interested in this one. You got a review of it coming up?

I'm just musing on the whole timecoding process too. I *think* I've thought of a quite simple method for improving the signal recovery from a phonograph needle output, but I'd need to know a little more about the actual signal encoded for the vinyl, does anyone know much about the type of signal used? I'm working on a project that requires the identification of a very weak IR signal from a quite considerable thermal background and I reckon I could apply the same methods here, if it works then I'll discuss it with Rane. I've certainly got everything I would need to do it in my lab.

Ermmmm.... is the best you SW guys can come up with is because "someone" tested it? Tested with what? Read it off a press release? Help me out here guys, I'm interested in this one. You got a review of it coming up?

I guess sarcasm doesn't always travel well.

We're still waiting for the demo unit which will make it's way Deftwards as he's way cleverer than me at this sort of thing.

Liam - there is a standard loopback test you can do with these vinyl emu solutions to work out when audio appears after the software sees the timecode.

Someone else has done this with Torq using the same kind of test and come up with ~12ms total latency (with an ASIO buffer of 64 samples at 44.1Khz - which is pretty much as low as any ASIO interface is going to go).

But yes I will test it myself once I get the unit.

Serato seems to perform a little better than all competition - probably because of some magic that Serato weave with their custom box and drivers. I'm not quite sure how they do it - they won't tell me. But all the other options (djDecks, Mixvibes, MsPinky, Torq) can all get down to around 12ms total system latency which I think is plenty good enough really for me (providing the interface drivers and your PC are good enough to operate at that level).

Some good info at this Serato post regarding timecode vs. noisemap.

http://scratchlive.net/forum/discussion/?d...ion_id=412#3347

Thanks for the link, this bit pretty much covered what I need

We use a quarter-cycle phase quadrature sine wave to track direction and speed, and FS must use the same - I mean it's obvious right? What else would you use?

I'm now leaning toward the opinion that my idea won't be quite as easy to implement as I had at first thought.