Perfect Dark (N64)

Doom (PC)

Duke Nukem (PC)

Metal Arms: Glitch In The System (Xbox)

Judge Dredd: Dredd Versus Death (Xbox)

Red Dead Revolver (Xbox)

Battlefront (PS2/xbox)

Raze's Hell (xbox) <--(edit) that's actually 3rd person

Time Splitters (all of em on PS2 & xbox)

Turok (N64)

can't think of any other just off the top of my head,,, er... can't remember the names anyways.

Guest Broken Sword

I'm a big fan of first person shooters and I can say that the best one I've played, hands down, is Black.

This game has basically raised the bar for FPS's.

Edited by Broken Sword

Guest Broken Sword
i can second black

also

far cry

star wars battlefront 1 & 2

just finished medal of honor heros on psp

that was quite good too

and the aliens one on ps1 was good

The MOH series was quite good but I couldn't get into the Star Wars ones because you can't fully customise the controller layout. I need to be able to set up the strafe and movement a certain way. Jesus Titty-Fucking Christ what a nerd...

Jesus. There's some gash games mentioned in this thread. Raising the bar for FPS?!?! Don't make me laugh, FPS is stagnant as fuck. There's lots of great FPS games around these days, but very few with genuinely novel gameplay mechanics, they're almost all exactly by-the-numbers, and those that dare to be a bit different get ripped on for it.

Most novel FPS game for a while... Metroid Prime Hunters. Severely let down by a lack of variety, though. Can't wait for the new one on the Wii...

Is black on 360?

Most novel FPS game for a while... Metroid Prime Hunters. Severely let down by a lack of variety, though. Can't wait for the new one on the Wii...

Dude I can't even get out of the hanger on metroid. Fuck that game.

Timesplitters is sick tho--really funny and lots of mini games

Anybody that hasn't palyed metal arms glitch... that I mentioned should check it... prob can get it used for $10. AWSOME and really different--crazy weapons, remote control (hack) other robots, a number of tanks ans shit... pretty cool.

Come on people, most of you are suggesting some pretty shit games that added virtually nothing to the genre excpt flashy graphics.

A few people have mentioned Goldeneye though, a great exception. It ditched the entire gameplay method of contemperary FPS, and built an entirely new one around novel (and very slick) control mechanics. The onjective-based gameplay was well thought out and has since become a prominet feature of the genre. Now consider Perfect dark -much slicker and it built upon the existing gameplay to great success, but it barely furthered the conecpt at all -just 'more of the same', which lets face it is what the fans wanted.

How about 3D monster maze on the Speccy? First ever FPS, quit possibly... nobody's thought to mention Wolfenstein either... although Doom made the PC what it is today, it's all down to the blueprint and hype created by the mess of blocky blue corridors and nazi insignias. Stuff that people just had to upgrade to a 386 for.

Quake 3 MADE multiplayer gaming what it is today. Yes, yes, Quake 1 brought us polygonal FPS and Quake 2 had a mature and spohisticated online scene -furthered by Half Life and of course the infamous pack Counter-Strike, but it was Q3 went out on a limb and relied almost soley on onine frag antics. De rigeur now, but an exceedingly bold move at the time.

Quite honestly, I don't see any such advances being made right now. It's all about refinement these days. The high cost of development for todays platforms means that companies are unwilling to invest too much without proven success. Thisdon't think it's going to get any better witho today's spiralling hardware specs either.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy, there's no doubt, I'll freely admit it -so my point of view is rather biased. But I think the spec of the Wii is a VERY smart move. It's built in an almost identical fashion to the Gamecube -all devkits shipped until very recenlty were just modified gamecubes. This is GREAT news because it means that development costs will be way, way down, and devlopers are working within a framework they understand how to handle. My hope is that the lower development costs will mean we see much more weird and wonderful titles for the Wii. Lets wait and see, eh?

Jesus that was a fucking essay. Too much coffee and wed all at once, congrats to anyone that read the whole post