itunes question

airnino

i'm a total noob to the whole itunes business so my question is:

when i buy songs from there (with drm-protection or whatnot), what can i do and what can't i do

- can i drag them to my ipod (without limit?)

- can i re-record them to cool edit (like playing it while recording the pc's output with cool edit and than safe under another name)

- can i burn them to cd (without limit?)

help appreciated

just download them on limewire on lime wire you can actually download the Limewire PRO edition lol then just drag the files to itunes

I think you can drag them to your iPod without limit, although I'm not 100% on that one. You can play them on your PC and record the sound in Cool Edit using Stereo Mix. There is a limit to the number of times you can burn the file, but I don't know what it is.

If you need the tune without DRM and in a different format, your best bet is to burn it, then rip it. You'll lose quality though. You're better off buying stuff elsewhere unless iTunes is the only place that sells it.

Someone sent me this link the other day, I don't know how good it is or what alternatives there are but it just may be worth spending the $15, sure you can re-record things in real time and stuff but this looks a lot easier...

http://www.soundtaxi.info/

Anyway, not tried it myself but if someone gets it let us know how you get on.

Easily convert DRM protected music files and various audio files to unprotected MP3, CD, iPod and other MP3 player file formats at high speed and CD quality- legally.

CD quality? I doubt that.

They can't upgrade the quality but no quality would be lost in the conversion, therefore if the protected file was so called "cd quality" then the result would be an unprotected "cd quality" file, there is no problem with that. Obviously if the file is compress with a lossy compression (which I suppose they all will be) then your not gonna gain any quality but you're certainly not going to lose any during the stripping of the drm (unless the program creator is a complete retard).

The bit I question is the legally bit...is it legal? I dunno, I'm guessing a bunch of lawyers could argue about it for years to come (and probably will to lol).

How does it work though? Is it stripping the DRM or just re-recording the file?

I would imagine the way it works would be: the program runs the audio through the DRM decoding system, in the same why as media play or similar would to play the audio. The raw decoded datastream would then be written back to a file (there may be a question whether it would need to be re-encoded here in which case re-encoding using a lossy format could well be detrimental to the sound). Essentially this amounts to re-recording the file but in such away that there is nothing which could cause loss of quality (i.e. going via analogue wires if you were to record from one device onto another), also it would be alot quicker (hopefully) that actually recording in realtime because the datastream speed would have to be limited to the playback sample rate.

Then again it may actually just strip the DRM, I don't know how DRM actually works, but from my limited work with cryptography I would imagine that this isn't actually possible but it may well be.

I don't know that program works but if I were writing the program I'd first investigate to see if it's possible to remove DRM, if not then I would use the approach I mentioned above.