Matt

had it 7 days now (been off work all that time too), doesn't fekkin work

advice i've had so far: "buy a mac" and "get a p4 processor"

here's what i posted at scratchlive.. no f'in answers yet so here goes

System spec:

ASUS A6000 Entertainment Notebook

AMD Turion MT32 1.8 Ghz

1024 MB RAM

I have disconnected the battery, purchased a cooling pad, checked I have the latest XP updates, switched off Wi-fi, minimised caching and increased audio buffer size, checked my USB driver to be the Serato one, shut down all other inessential processes and yet:

I load up Serato, it works for up to 5 minutes through both channels. Without fail one channel (either one) stops outputting into my mixer. I get a few pops coming through, especially when I change the track on the affected channel or adjust the buffering. I have disconnected Serato and reconnected it, this sometimes brings the channel back but only temporarily. I have rebooted and this usually brings the channel back for a short period but this doesn't last either.

Occasionally the channel has already dropped out by the time serato loads up.

Anyone have similar symptoms and a solution?

try contacting rane directly, you may have a hardware problem.

if you run the channel that drops out in internal mode, does it still do it?

alternativly, is there anyone you know locally who's got ssl? you could try plugging in their box.

plenty of people run ssl just fine on a pc

yep, internal mode doesn't make any difference.

i could do with tapping up someone with a lappy/mac to install it and see if the issue is pc or hardware related.

whereabouts are you? i run FS on my laptop no probs at all. if it can run FS, ssl should be a walk in the fucking park! :)

Have you got a different USB cable you can try? Otherwise I haven't heard of anything like this - so it could well be a hardware problem like Dub says. Do you still get decent scope readings when the outputted audio goes wonky? Does everything look normal on the screen? i.e. the tracks look like they should play o.k. yet the audio is coming out wonky?

(edit) (1)Everything you say keeps making me think it's a buffer problem... Look at the vertical sound-wave bars--there is a tiny bar that is the buffer bar. If you get further in the song than the buffer bar then it will stop (I had this happen at a wedding). Check and see if you can figure out what I'm talking about... Any/all buffer settings should be maxed out.

(2)If you're above min specs then have you also downloaded the new updates for the software?

Sometimes I've had probs with the needles picking up the time code and have to unscrew and then lick the back side and screw back in (that old trick). Also I'd make sure nothing is hindering your processor speed (like power-saver options going into effect). If your needles are old I'd try newer ones and make damn sure you have your ram maxed out or you're just dumb (it's cheap and will make *everything* run smoother and will suck ur dick too). I run it with 2gig on my laptop, but with I had an extra slot to put in another gig. Remember, the system minimum specs are BS and you will just about always need more than what they claim.

Just basically run through your entire system and test every possible issue.

I don't know what internal mode is... like ya'll said, could be a hardware prob.... I'd make sure the software is updated (via online) and then check that buffer read I mentioned--esp if ur using an external HD to store ur music.

Bummer man. Sounds like my issues with Final Scratch--wouldn't initialize or would just crash for no reason.

Looking at this again, it could be so many things...

had it 7 days now (been off work all that time too), doesn't fekkin work

advice i've had so far: "buy a mac" and "get a p4 processor"

here's what i posted at scratchlive.. no f'in answers yet so here goes

System spec:

ASUS A6000 Entertainment Notebook

AMD Turion MT32 1.8 Ghz

1024 MB RAM

1. You only got a gig of RAM-you can cheaply double or even triple that. **That's what I'd do first. (and check ur buffer rate like I said).

2. Might need to get a new chip--I don't know if AMD chips are supported very well. Like I said, I would be sure to download the newest updates for this support reason.

That's cool, ur prob right. I just think it's better to have more. A gig or half may be perfect for some comps, but I assume ur also running linx (from ur avitar) with no bloat-ware cloggin it up (verses my mac laptop with all the widgit crap and stuff like that)... I just think it can only help... it def wouldn't hurt anything. (edit) I also look at it from a photo/video POV where I have huge panorama pics that would crash most people's computers easily.... I can't even make my pan-o pics bigger than 30 ppi b/c they would b so big I wouldn't even be able to open em!

As for the chip--AMD is the bomb IMO, but that doesn't make them the standard--and it might not be well supported. That's why I'd download the updates (like I already said). Kinda like how SSL doesn't support AIFF or whatever it is itunes uses (totally dumb IMO, but for whatever reason they dont).

Well, I used to be a WIndows user, and I used to do a lot of Overclocking ie basically tweaking hardware to the limit to gain extra performance...I have done pretty extensive testing in 3d gaming enviroment and CPU FPU testing on the performance difference between 1 and 2 gigs of RAM and I can honestly say that the difference between 1 and 2 gigs is on the order of milliseconds in reduction of loading time with applications...

As for the Turion chip, I must say it really is well capable and this seems to me to be more of a serato hardware issue or remotely possible a serato driver level issue, I used to use Final Scratch and am well familiar with the up and downs of software DJIng.

Can you move your tables by a different machine and see if you have probelms still.

You have to first figure out whether its your computer, your connections, or your hardware. Hard to fix a problem when it is hard to tell where it is at.

the performance difference between 1 and 2 gigs of RAM and I can honestly say that the difference between 1 and 2 gigs is on the order of milliseconds in reduction of loading time with applications...

That's interesting.... didn't know it was that small...

...or remotely possible a serato driver level issue

And so download the updates like I suggested, right?

• 5 weeks later...

yo i lost this topic on the old board

it works fine on another set up- which eliminates usb lead issues etc, and i've set the buffer at mimumum and max settings and everywhere in between- which all has no impact

annoyingly , as serato took 3 weeks to arrive (hmmm) by the time it became clear i had a serious issue my laptop was past the 28 day return period, and despite negotiating i'm stuck with it

the stuff will have been developed with a pentium in mind- i know of people who have had studio issued using amd chips/motherboards.

i'm still stuck, ran a ratt test last week and sent it off to rane to interpret, other than that we be struggling

• 2 months later...