internet connection

texas pete

somehow tiscali have fooked up my internet connection and i cant get on the internet~!

when you click on my internet browser the page loads up with the bog standard check urls eg ww. etc as if its not connected but the modem has dialled and is connected at 160kb/s.

the modem software is installed, the modem is hooked up and the computer recognises it. the modem connects to something but it doesnt recognise the internet. the self diagnostic tool says all is fine except the internet. ive checked my firewall and the settings havent changed. the line is ok cos im using the same kit on my brothers computer in another room. what the hell is going on?!

How is it all connected? Are you using a router?

Can you send/receive email using Outlook Express or another email client?

Have you looked in Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings to see if everything is set up properly in IE?

the modem is hooked directly into computer (no router). i have no clue how to use outlook but messenger isnt working but my bt torrent thing is working, albeit quite slowly. ive followed the diagnostic tools that tiscali have given me to the letter but it doesnt help.

nope, iscali has been working fine (when it actually was working) but they hijacked my connection so you cant use any other connection (i went to my dads to use the net and it took ages to get round tiscali's dial up attempts). now it just doesnt want to give me access.

ill give it another shot. i hate ringing them cos they have foreign call centres they dont really have a clue whats going on. over the last 3 months i have rang them a million times and the best one i got was "our engineers from milton keynes are working on the problem right now"... yeah but im in leeds and they are not! lol!

lol!

after a lengthy phone call with the tiscali guys he said we werent even getting a connection, even though i was downloading 3 seperate things from mu toorent... then after 35 inutes he asks "if there is a wire running from my computer to the phone socket"

Could be a problem with their DNS servers unable to resolve host names properly. They sound almost as shit as Bulldog (leaving Zen was a bad move!).

Bulldog no good then Deft? I've just recommended them to a friend, but only based on speed/price and not service.

CUNTS does not describe it. Well the basic problem is that although you can get through to tech support and speak to someone, they never actually do anything to fix the problems.

They activated me a week later than they said, which I can live with. They never actually sent me a username and password so I had to ring to get it - again not a massive problem but indicative of hassles to come. I am on a standard 8meg ADSL1 profile when I am paying for a 16meg ADSL2+ service. Also my upload is totally fucked - synced at half a meg but getting fluctuating and broken uploads of around 6KB-12KB/s. Also have had loss of net connectivity for a few hours at a time.

I'm reasonably tech savvy so can tell it's not a problem my end.

Conversely, I was with Zen for 12 months with no downtime and perfect speeds all the time.

The problem is that now Bulldog have taken over my whole line as it's LLU, then I can't migrate away or move back to BT easily.

I'm going to stay a bit patient but not the greatest intro to a company.

Like all these cheapo deals - fine if you need no support, but your fucked if things don't go right. The funny thing with Zen was that you pay a premium to have such knowledgeable support staff yet you never need them because they run their network properly!

• 2 weeks later...

ive hit a new all time low ! just ran a connection speed check and it doesnt look good! :@

Your current bandwidth reading is:

73.30kbps

which means you can download at 9.16 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

73.3 kbps YOU

128 kbps ISDN

150 kbps DSL

256 kbps DSL

512 kbps DSL

im with tiscali and ive had no problem although occasionally if some1 rings thru on the house phone it will disconnect , but only occassionally.

And yes there call centres are hopeless , they claim i can get a max of 1mbs however i spoke to bt who said that i can get 8mbs , wtf they use the same shit? the only reason im not switching to bt is cus there prices are high.

im with tiscali and ive had no problem although occasionally if some1 rings thru on the house phone it will disconnect , but only occassionally.

And yes there call centres are hopeless , they claim i can get a max of 1mbs however i spoke to bt who said that i can get 8mbs , wtf they use the same shit? the only reason im not switching to bt is cus there prices are high.

fuck BT, I used to work on their tech support desk before they shipped it overseas. i think possibly bulldog's one of the only ones with no download limit for a reasonable price....

at the end of the day, people have bad experiences with every company...just don't go to BT. for me.

Just thought I'd drop in again to say Bulldog have half fixed my line, so they have redeemed themselves a little. My upload is still flakey as fuck but at least I can sync at around 22mbit download now :p

Now if only I had something I actually wanted to download......