Will.I.Am Black eyed peas ain't hip hop

mattnice

Will.I.Am: Calling Black Eyed Peas "Hip-Hop" is an Insult

Uhh yeah, I'm not commenting on this one either.

WILL.I.AM: 'DON'T CALL US HIP-HOP'

THE BLACK EYED PEAS frontman WILL.I.AM is keen to distance his band from hip-hop, because the genre's music is "angry" and "negative". The LET'S GET IT STARTED hitmaker admits the group started out as a hip-hop act but he now wants nothing to do with the rap scene. He says, "When you compare it to today's standards of what hip-hop is... don't even call it that, 'cos that's, like, an insult. "Today's hip-hop is just angry, negative music that just makes black people look bad."

source http://www.hiphopmusic.com/

yeah, i agree. dont call bep hip hop. call them pop. their first album behind the front was on point. i noticed that they were leaning toward the radio/mtv play on the second album. then they just went completely pop. amazingly, everybody that loves them has never heard the first album.

hiphop is like disco was to the 80's now. PLAYED - that's why.

mainstream hiphop is for stupid people who want that fake black stereotype in a neat little package, a nice little placebo for racial insecurity IMO

here's some hiphop from 1969..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er1qwOTTRuY

that is more "hiphop" to me than 99 percent of the total dross that pours out of the ego-volcano known as the USA.

there is still decent hiphop around like blurum 13, atmosphere, POS but i cant stand the mainstream stuff at all its not hiphop its rnb/rap.

I like how hiphop has evolved into experimental beat makers like sixtoo and plove for example.

but rock is where its at.

on the more commercial side roots, royce, az, ghostface, busta all had bangers out in the last few months.

theres also some real dope leftfield hiphop out too.

people just moan every year... hiphop is dead blah blah blah half of them dont buy records!...

im far more worried about all the record shops in the uk shutting down to be honest.

theres still decent stuff around if you look for it.

at least premo has seen a return to form in recent months.

erm preemo - christina aguilezza! erm, wtf was that al about, by the by tho.

yeah, B.E.P's prolly saying that coz they realise the current state of hiphop has a very limited shelf life, like everything that gets overdone with a mainstream pounding....

having said that, what do y'all think of shadows new ish? the hyphy stuff??

After realizing that The Peas were actually on a related label on their company's label, Fair offered to have them transferred to his part of the label to help with their career. Knowing that he might offend them as a corporate head with his ideas of a pop crossover, Fair asked Will.I.Am if the band might consider doing more poppish music.

As expected from Fair, Will.I.Am was not pleased with the notion, and thought that the band might be considered as a "sell-out" if they did it. Fair stood strong on his ground, and reminded The Peas, that this could possibly be their last chance to succeed and as The Peas did want a second chance, they accepted.

Sounds to me like he's just trying to justify what BEP did by generalising. There's good and bad music in any genre - hip hop is no different.

christina can sing like a mother fucker, premo has done a great thing IMO

well yeah she's a belter isnt she (meaning the singin style) - i never know how much to believe tho now with pop singers, there's so much processing that goes into vocals - i could be made to sound like christina without too many problems couldnt i?!....not doubting she has some good lungs, that track with preemo you cant hear even the slightest intonation wobble, just sounds over produced i guess.

its clear why he'd do that track, $ and profile, but its just a bit too poppy for my taste and her vocal is over the top, in my opinion!!!

the confusion comes about when you think that the "heroes of hiphop" aren't about making money too.

oh, and yeah, do you really think after producing all he has inc macy gray n all that, he needs to make money? i dunno....

he was rolling around liverpool in a rolls royce phantom i hear, Liverpool the place where a ford orion is some tasty hardware!!

you diggin the hyphy stuff jim?

there is some good hyphy and then total fucking dross. technology allows under-devloped artists to get their message out and people rate it, it's led to some good and bad things.

i've stopped judging artists for what they do same as i try not to judge others face to face, end of the day people are maiming and killing people, raping children and on and on.. so i aint really going to get all hot and sweaty about a producer doing something diffrent in the music biz.

i've stopped judging artists for what they do same as i try not to judge others face to face, end of the day people are maiming and killing people, raping children and on and on.. so i aint really going to get all hot and sweaty about a producer doing something diffrent in the music biz.

Ermmm..... can I stop you there and say that I've never really met anyone who used child molestation as a yardstick for their appreciation of music?

i try not to judge others face to face, end of the day people are maiming and killing people, raping children and on and on.. so i aint really going to get all hot and sweaty about a producer doing something diffrent in the music biz.

LOL, well, put like that erm no!

but, your commetn re. knowing its christinga?? nah you think? i rekon its trademark aguilera nasty pop, maybe you could say..... 'if you didnt know the producer was premo' - to rephrase!

i try not to judge others face to face, end of the day people are maiming and killing people, raping children and on and on.. so i aint really going to get all hot and sweaty about a producer doing something diffrent in the music biz.

LOL, well, put like that erm no!

but, your commetn re. knowing its christinga?? nah you think? i rekon its trademark aguilera nasty pop, maybe you could say..... 'if you didnt know the producer was premo' - to rephrase!

If only we could all enter everything with no preconceptions at all, eh? But to do that we'd need to have no opinions on anything. In which case, what's the point.

Most people seem pretty impressed by this stuff in spite of some negative preconceptions which says something, I guess.

Gutted that the new Shadow album is pretty gash. He should have gone with a different name really, I had previously heard that it wasn't going to be under the Shadow name? I'll bet he had a lot of pressure to mkae it a DJ Shadow release. Not really been following it all, even less interested having heard it :(

Thought the new cut chem album was a belter tho. Not heard any opinions on it but personally I loved it.

Gutted that the new Shadow album is pretty gash.

you should check it for yourself, some tracks really work, i prefer them as instrumentals - makes it sound a little less commercial to me, there's no knocking his production, tho i prefer his old mpc beat making style, none of the protools softsynth extravaganza