File Naming Conventions

Just wanted to ask a few bods to discuss ways to title files.

For example, I just downloaded an mp3 from SendIt, on of the mixes by a DJ on DV. When I got the track the title was something like ...

trackname.mp3

There wasn't any idv data, artist name, nothing ....

With so many mp3s floating around its very easy to get lost this way

Some tips I have learn't when naming mp3s.

1: Include artists name and title of song in filename

eg: dvdj_trackname.mp3

At least then we can search on google ;0)

and/or

2: Include the website name

eg: mysitename_com_dvdj_trackname.mp3

3: Best avoid using !"£$%&^&*(= as it can be a pain in the A* trying to burn CD's later on. Some programs get confused with special characters in titles. No spaces either or you get a bunch of %20% things all over. Plus they become difficult to share online. A lot of ftp progs hate spaces.

Instead use "_" underscore as above. You can name 10,000 mp3s and never use more than an underscore and still get the point.

$orry Smootie ;0)

4: Use lowercase. Again, many applications treat upper and lower case differently, so you should try to stick with lowercase.

:0)

Just a quick post, perhaps you can dispute these tips with good arguements against or add a few new ones to the pot.

ez!

d2the

It's been said at least a dozen times.

If a file isn't named properly then I'll normally delete it within a week or two, because I simply can't remember... unless it's really good, in which case I title it.

I don't understand why people would do their work then not tag it. If I wrote a book, I'd want my name on the cover... if I did a painting, I'd sign it.

im so disgusted by underscores...

I definately used to be ...

Some progs like winAMP get around this as they can auto hide underscore and %20%

Increasingly, the actual filename is being superceeded by the idv tag info.

Perhaps the way we browse actually files in explorer leads to some of these issues.

Underscores, taking the lowest possible pixel position and space, interfer less when browsing folders with literally thousands of mp3.

blah

im so disgusted by underscores...

I definately used to be ...

Some progs like winAMP get around this as they can auto hide underscore and %20%

Increasingly, the actual filename is being superceeded by the idv tag info.

Perhaps the way we browse actually files in explorer leads to some of these issues.

Underscores, taking the lowest possible pixel position and space, interfer less when browsing folders with literally thousands of mp3.

blah

true..

i guess its more of being wanting to be organized.. OCD!!!

i rename all my albums and remove all the underscores...

therefore, i hate underscores..