Jackson or Ibanez?

Jon

Guest sirchickski
just get a strat and some rory gallagher albums. none of this fancy shite

You said "Get a strat" and then said "none of this fancy shite"... strats cost like 3000 quid mate... if that aint fancy then what is..

Guest sirchickski

its cheap wood lack of whammy the pickups aint the best but they aint bad... isnt a high demand for toggle swtiches (only RATM fans) so they reduce price to sell it lol but good for starting guitar my first guitar cost 150 quid and that was with an amplifer included so it really cost like 100 quid n 50 quid for the amp lol :p n my guitar i love it now altho it dont beat the new one i got which i showed u on myspace but thats life really but i say u shld get it

Sirchickski, no offence mate but I hope you know more about turntables than guitars! fucking hell, I've cringed at every one of your posts!

Firstly, regarding brands that other guitarists use:

Rage Against the Machine - from that video you showed me Rusty its an Ibanez he uses a tele, a Gibson SG Doubleneck but the most famous is probably the grey "Arm The Homeless" guitar which is an ESP body, kramer neck, floyd-rose trem and I think EMG pickups

Deftones - Steph Carpenter plays ESP

Team Sleep - is Steph in Team Sleep?

Incubus = PRS and I think lately I've seen him witha Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster

Limp BIZKIT = used to have an Ibanez 7-string sponsorship but I think switched to PRS

Nirvana - Fender Mustangs, Jaguars (with humbuckers) no make 70s guitars and later on his signature Jag-stang

Papa Roach = he endorses Schecter guitars and has a signature model

Two most common Ibanez body shapes..not the paint though.. bottom one is used by steve vai and top one no one famous that i know has one as they aint cheap.

The top one is an Iceman as played by Daran Malakian from System of a Down.

its cheap wood lack of whammy the pickups aint the best but they aint bad... isnt a high demand for toggle swtiches (only RATM fans) so they reduce price to sell it lol

Are you on crack? It doesn't have a toggle switch especially for doing the Tom Morello stutter sound, it's just a (very conventional) pickup selector! The same as found on a Les Paul or a lot of other guitars with two pickups. I certainly don't think that the guitar is cheaper because of it! The lack of tremolo doesn't make it cheaper either - some people just don't need one - it's just an option. The way you're talking, Ibanez have accidentally fucked up designing the guitar and now have to sell them off dead cheap because no one wants all of the apparently rubbish features they've included.

It's a cheap guitar because it's made cheaply! It's not the best wood, won't have the best pickups or hardware and it will have been assembled in the far east for very little money. More expensive guitars will have improved their product in one or more of these areas.

It's like saying a Ford Focus is a shit car because it hasn't got the features of an Aston Martin. It's not shit, it's just built and targeted at a different budget and market.

My advice Rusty is that if you want to play heavy stuff, you will need a humbucker in the bridge position. You can do mellower stuff with that type of pickup but a single coil will struggle with the heavy stuff.

You may or may not want a tremolo (either locking or vintage style). It's all about longevity really, if you are just learning you will definitely not need a whammy bar it's hard enough trying to figure out where to put your fingers and pick without the distraction of divebombs and scoop and doops! When you are a proficient soloist you may want to get into tremolo action, you can either decide to equip yourself for that point now or get a different guitar with those features when the time comes.

Bear in mind a Floyd-rose type trem is more difficult to change strings with, more fiddly to setup (ie. if you decide to change string guage [thickness] or string height etc) and is also difficult if you like to change tunings regularly. eg. Standard to drop D for different RATM songs.

I say go to a guitar shop, and see what they've got at what price that you like the look and feel of. For £200, if not less you can get a very respectable guitar these days. I would just do the research and make sure the one you like is fairly priced, as long as you've paid the right price and you like it there is no rip-off really. If it's a reputable brand, it's not going to fall apart or anything it's just down to whether you like it or not.

I have been playing for 8 years now and those are my thoughts, sorry if anyone got bored or offended by them.

Edited by Paul_Caruso

Bear in mind a Floyd-rose type trem is more difficult to change strings with, more fiddly to setup (ie. if you decide to change string guage [thickness] or string height etc) and is also difficult if you like to change tunings regularly. eg. Standard to drop D for different RATM songs.

FUCK A FLOYD ROSE! Worst pick up design ever. IMO

Floyd Rose is tricky to tune but it's dead easy to change strings with it and when it's properly set up your guitar will hardly go out of tune anymore. My BC Rich with the Floyd Rose hasn't changed tune for about three months now (with regular packing/unpacking the guitar for rehearsals). You'll get used to the tuning with a Floyd Rose.

err, a floyd rose isnt a pickup... :)

i wouldn't ever want one though, far too fiddly for whatever (crap stuff) i want to play

err, a floyd rose isnt a pickup... :)

i wouldn't ever want one though, far too fiddly for whatever (crap stuff) i want to play

LOL! To many bowls of BUD!

Of course I was reffering to the piece of crap Whammy bridge! The tension concictancy is impossible to deal with unless your someone who has ten guitars and ten guitar techs. If you pop one string mid play, everthing come out of tunes!

Floyd Rose is tricky to tune but it's dead easy to change strings with it and when it's properly set up your guitar will hardly go out of tune anymore. My BC Rich with the Floyd Rose hasn't changed tune for about three months now (with regular packing/unpacking the guitar for rehearsals). You'll get used to the tuning with a Floyd Rose.

I think the idea of the locking nut and tuning from the bridge is cool, but it is WAY overboard.

Guest sirchickski

LOL to some posts ive read. but i cant be assed to argue over this any more without having to write shit loads of sentences to make a point id rather use my energy on playing guitar. so shutup please :)

LOL to some posts ive read. but i cant be assed to argue over this any more without having to write shit loads of sentences to make a point id rather use my energy on playing guitar. so shutup please :)

Music is for nerds! :d

• 4 weeks later...