condenser mics

Im looking for a good condenser mic for home recording. I recently hooked up with an emcee and hes looking for a good mic so we can start recording some shit over my beats.. Any tips on a good mic to grab? Were looking to spend about 100-150

Cheers

Have you got a mixer or soundcard/interface that can provide phantom power? If so you're good to go.

I like the Rode NT1000 if you're looking for something simple or a Studio Projects C1. You may want a shockmount for the mic too. I got my NT1000 off ebay with a shockmount for £100, which is a good deal.

Have you got a mixer or soundcard/interface that can provide phantom power? If so you're good to go.

I like the Rode NT1000 if you're looking for something simple or a Studio Projects C1. You may want a shockmount for the mic too. I got my NT1000 off ebay with a shockmount for £100, which is a good deal.

word, Rode mics are good. if you spend a bit more you could get the NTK valve mic. I THINK its about £200, but definately a worthwhile investment.

Just to re-iterate that incase you missed it, you will need Phantom Power to use a condenser mic (from the mixer, the interface or a mic pre-amp). There are also some condenser mics which you can stick a battery in eliminating the need for Phantom Power although I can't give any advice regarding how good they are.

Anyway, I'm sure you already knew all that but it's worth pointing out 'just in case', don't wanna spend a load of money on something you can't use ;)

you will need somekind of pre amp which will up the gain and power the mic, as far as what you can get for 150 i dont hav a scoobie, never had any experience with mics of that value...the pre will make a big difference... everythin in your chain will colour the sound in its own way - your chain being the chain from mic to recording ie. mic, preamp, eq, desk, hard disk. or whatever you might use...

you will need a shock mount, only very few mics have mounts built in, but this stops the mic picking up even the faintest floor vibrations....and of course you'l need a mic stand and a quiet room, condensers pickup much more than your sm57!

http://www.red5audio.com/acatalog/Condensor_Mics.html

brilliant value for money, good rich sound from what i've heard

sorry, no offence but thats complete balls! i shoulda said, you got hear it for yourself! never trust anyone elses opinion on a mic (LOL unless its a U87)...

it all depends on the source youre recording and its always a personal thing what sounds nice and what doesnt...a load of heads would probably say the above was a thin sounding piece of shit!

also, you could do worse than checking out the beringer condenser mics - you can pick up the C1 for about £30!

i know behringer have a lot of stigma attatched to them, but their new equipment is top class, i'd say of similar quality to goods four times the prices (for my money the £18 xm8500 is an sm58 beater)

basically try before you buy if possible