Computer Help again

Guest sirchickski

Ahhh, there you go then. I only skimmed the thread when I read it the first time, so I assumed you were just converting movies rather than editing them. I reckon 4GB is still overkill though unless you're working with HUGE files.

Sirchick, get the very best RAM you can afford to get. Every single operation the computer performs needs to be stored in the RAM at some point; there is literally NOTHING your computer can do that will not depend in some capacity upon the speed of your RAM. It's also the most likely culprit for various lock-ups and system instability. By BEST I do not mean largest capacity, but bigger is better if you can.

Graphics aside, video encoding is MORE demanding on your system than gaming. It'll max out your CPU load, run your RAM ragged and send gigabytes worth of data to and from your hard-drive over a period of several hours. If you're doing a lot of video editing, decent RAM is a *MUST*.

Add to this that if you're likely to overclock at all, RAM is almost always the limiting factor in pushing up your FSB... running the memory asyncronous always introduces instability, to get the most out of your system you'll need RAM capable of a nice high FSB at a low latency. But you're probabbly not too worried about that.

Steve, do you still run that P3 @ 800Mhz? I had an 800Mhz P3 and it ran 1.1Ghz with the stock cooler fine.... six years later it's still running nice at those speeds, my parents use it 24-7. Nice little rig. ASUS board and some 133 SDRAM I believe, surprisingly fast for it's age

Guest sirchickski

right now this is getting more advanced that my brain can understand in one go lol ... can show me an item as an example of " good " with capacity cos i duno what i need to look for that defines good when it comes to ram ?

sirchick,good is like this,say this to any computer part seller,"I want DDR400 512 sticks,MATCHED PAIRS that can do 220Mhz at 2.2.2.5 1T!" LOl NO matter what brand you get that can do those specs it's gonna be good,high performance RAM is very competitive at the top range.

As I said Mushkin,OCZ Corsair,Team,Gskill,Geil are all big players....Thing is RAM that runs at Cas Latency 2 ALWAYS has very little room to move until you have to drop it to 2.5....say maybe 240Mhz MAX!

And you new proc could handle an extra 200Mhz easy(I've had that Core b4) without dropping the HT,raising the Vcore or Vdimm or running a divider....

You wanted confusion-there you go lol.

Guest sirchickski

that didnt help with me purchasing lol ! argh im getting less confident now ! can u point me to a cheap but good ram item

of 1 gig sticks please

If you really want 2X1gig sticks....

Look at something like this depending on your price range,like I said all the good stuff is very competitive performance wize

:http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/99337

That choice is not the be all and end all but it's pretty much what you look for.