Computer Help again

Guest sirchickski

Guest sirchickski

Ok im getting this pc :

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...duct_uid=102523

but wondered what it meant by up to 4 gig of ram. Now i know that means i can add up to 4 gig of ram but what i need to know is can i do this:

put 4 - 1 gig ddr ram sticks in!

or does it only allow me to put max of 2?

meaning if it was 2 i cld only put in two 2 gig ddr ram sticks to make up the 4 gig ? cos if i can buy 4 1 gig ram sticks and find out theres only 2 sockets i wldnt be happy

thanks again

Guest sirchickski

ok last question, i was look at ram and some people comment things like so n so ram doesnt not work 100% with an athlon 64 bit etc

n the pc on the link is Type AMD Athlon 64 3400+ - 64-bit

so wat DDR ram do you recommend me getting which wont cost me much :) ?

For you -value RAM-...It will do what you want it to do....You only need a gig mate.Value RAM is basically not hardcore RAM but affordable without going into detail.

DDR2 RAM is not supported by AMD,although it is with the new CPU/socket release.

Guest sirchickski

so dont get DDR 2 ram ? and value ram wat you mean by that?

also ram is very important for me as i need ultro low latency and very quick graphic editing for movie creating etc

See my above post,value is like bargain RAM which has slightly higher latency all round but for the average user is just fine.

That machine comes with 512 yeh?Get another 512 stick and you will probably run around 2.5 3 3 5 timings....

Edit:OK so you're sure you want Low latency RAM......

Geil

Mushkin

Corsair

OCZ

Those are all good names.

Remember,the stick you get with that machine will most likely be value RAM as such,so putting a low Lat stick in wont benefit timings wize,AS the RAM will only run as fast as the slowest stick.

Remember 1gig sticks also generally come with higher latency,for which they compensate with higher freuencies.

Guest sirchickski

well when im using movie programs like premier photoshop after effects, im on 512 as it is and it takes like 2 up to 10 hours to render some graphics for like a 2 hour film, and most film forums they suggest 4 gig ram will do the trick.

cos some times wen im editing the films i have all 3 programs running at same time and ram is eaten up big time... aswell as my recording programs, which has like 200 gig of samples and plugins to load :p takes forever

Well thats another story about running dual channel etc etc,I overclock my machines excessively blah blah etc etc....

Bottomline if 1 gig doesnt sort you,then move up to 2.

The jump in performance from 512 to 1 gig will be significant whereas the jump from 1gig to 2 will be less noticeable.

Well RAM is just a temp storage place for info from apps etc....It's more rare to need over a gig than it is to need more than 512.....Then you have the swap/page file virtual memory space alotted to the HDD which can be used,which will be used less of etc

Guest sirchickski

i get you, i just dont know if a gig of ram is enough as my computer locks up wen im film editing :p special if the video clip is 2 hours long or so my cpu usage goes 100% for a over a few hours lol

What CPU are you running currently?

As I said,upgrading your RAM is simple,I'm kinda just going with don't spend money unnecesseraly.....if you end up needing it hell go buy another gig and stick it in and power the PC up....

You will see what I mean when you see the performance jump from 512 to 1gig,even jumping from 512 to 768 is enormous increase....

Lets say the ratio would be 70%:30%::1gig:2gig: or however the mathematicians do it.

special if the video clip is 2 hours long or so my cpu usage goes 100% for a over a few hours

That's cos it's your CPU that's doing all the work converting the movie. A decent amount of RAM (1GB should be fine as FP said) and a fast processor will make all the difference. I could stick 4GB of RAM in my PC, but because it's only got an 800Mhz processor it would make hardly any difference to the time it takes to encode video.

Which processor do you have in your current PC?

**EDIT**

Sorry FP - posted at the same time as you.

You should notice quite a large improvement then. How you configure your PC and the software you use makes a difference too. On my PC it takes about 4½ hours to encode a 2 hour movie (converting from AVI to DVD format).

Guest sirchickski

well yeh but that aint guna really change it by alot lol wen its taking 10 hours or so i think its majority the ram thas the problem