Who's Your Fave Proper Pop Band

Blak Randy

From a musical point of view Queen and ABBA knocked out some of the greatest pop songs. They're not always my cup of tea but I well appreciate the writing and production.

Jacko in his prime as well was probably responsible for the greatest pop ever written.

I tend to appreciate individual songs rather than any particular band when it comes to pop though.

I like a lot of 80s pop music. I used to love groups like Blondie and Adam & The Ants when I was a kid.

Me too.

I can't stop listeng to Nu Shooz - I can't wait today.

That tune is cracking mate!

Yes. I love it. Propper feel good. Love to play it out now.

@ Craigdog. I'd hardly call the Cure a pop band. They have a bit of pop sucess but deffo not a pop band.

lovecats / boys dont cry / friday Im in love.. all poppy to me...but i know what your getting at...more of an album band.

ok...Blacklace it is then!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Haha.

Fair enough, but 3 Poppy tracks out of a 20 odd year career and fuck knows how many albums. I mean more of a straight pop band who just have hit after hit for their career. I really like the cure by the way.

Speaking of Blacklace i used to have music lessons with a guy that produced them. He was credited with re-writing agadoo for the English market (it was a spanish song or something). He had a gold disc on his wall and everything :(( .

Seriously though I guess he's one of the reasons that I appreciate pop. He was one of the greatest musicians I've ever met. He was a multi instrumentalist and his Jazz was amazing.

He knew black lace was pretty ropey stuff but he had a recording studio in his back yard (of his big house) to show for it.

People knowing how to exploit the pop market is kind of why it's so shit now I think. There was a lot of commercial sounding bands in the 80s, but at least they were more "real" than ones around today. There were fewer cover versions and novelty records (at least until Stock, Aitken and Waterman came on the scene).

BTW, did you all used to listen to the top 40 on Sundays when you were younger? When did you stop listening to it? It was so long ago for me, I can't even remember.

and pop can be defined as anything popular in a particular culture no?

Yeah, although to me pop music also has a certain sound. Maybe that's just my own definition though. I wouldn't call God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols pop music, although it was popular enough to sell enough records to get to number 1 (despite being cheated into the number 2 spot). Firestarter by The Prodigy is another example. Not what I'd describe as pop, but it still go to number 1.

i agree with you on the sound thing, but it seems the older a particular genre gets the more susceptible it is to having a poppy sound. like before hip hop, pop was considered something with a heavy rock influence, now its like pop almost pushes its way into the hip hop/r&b scene with certain artists, so pop changes over time, it never neccessarily keeps the same sound.

i agree with you on the sound thing, but it seems the older a particular genre gets the more susceptible it is to having a poppy sound.  like before hip hop, pop was considered something with a heavy rock influence, now its like pop almost pushes its way into the hip hop/r&b scene with certain artists, so pop changes over time, it never neccessarily keeps the same sound.

Very true. Tracks can be hip hop and pop at the same time I suppose. I tend to think of pop music as your Britney Spears type stuff that you wouldn't really put into another category, not that putting music into categories even matters.

I was into Duran Duran -wild boyz when i was a kid,

also Prince Charming by Adam Ant, Great tune....

now i love cher Gypsies Tramps & Thieves... coz i use it in a routine and the intro is dope...(when skratched :p )