Was there a better year for hip hop than 1988?

Steve

93/94!

B.I.G, Snoop, Dre, Wu Tang, Gravediggaz, Warren G

Tis true--talk about some fat fuckings tracks! ...and even souls of mischief, del, etc was all happenin then too!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Broken Sword

No, there was no greater year than 1988.

1987 and 1989 are close runners-up, with an honourable mention going to 1996.

Guest Vekked

gimme old-school hip-hop tracks for me to download that sound like that old jay-z track someone posted not too long ago, I'm too young...

Guest Broken Sword
gimme old-school hip-hop tracks for me to download that sound like that old jay-z track someone posted not too long ago, I'm too young...

Get on SoulSeek and have a look for 'Long Live The Kane', that's a good place to start (although technically not 'old school'... what we're talking about here is referred to as 'The Golden Era').

Guest Vekked

www.nobodysmiling.com/hiphop/play-audio.php?rid=914&path=Jay-Z-OriginalFlava. jay z's verse is at 1.50 and will make you shit yourself

oh werd, can I get open is so heat, one of my fav tracks of all time, I didn't even realize it was jay-z at first, he was so much sicker back then...

Get on SoulSeek and have a look for 'Long Live The Kane', that's a good place to start (although technically not 'old school'... what we're talking about here is referred to as 'The Golden Era').

Aye, that's a cracking album. If you go to Amazon and search for the albums I originally posted you'll be able to listen to samples of the songs, then you can download/buy any you like.

Have a search for Ego Trip's Greatest Hip Hop Singles on Soulseek too. A guy put a huge compilation together taking 40 classic tracks from each year going from 1979-1999. I've got the lot, but they're way too big to upload.

Guest Vekked

oh word, I'll check that, I haven't been on the soul seek ever since I deduced that everyone on there was nazi's and you had to trade them rare gems to get anything from them, but I'll have a look

Here's some of the albums released in that year: -

Eric B. & Rakim - Follow The Leader

Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown

EPMD - Strictly Business

Biz Markie - Goin' Off

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live The Kane

Ice-T - Power

Jungle Brothers - Straight Out The Jungle

J.V.C. F.O.R.C.E. - Doin' Damage

Marley Marl - In Control Volume 1

MC Lyte - Lyte As A Rock

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back

Stetsasonic - In Full Gear

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper

Eazy-E - Eazy-Duz-It

Schoolly D - Smoke Some Kill

7A3 - Coolin' In Cali

Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud - Girls I Got 'Em Locked

The Alliance - We Could Get Used To This

Chubb Rock & Hitman Howie Tee - Chubb Rock

Tuff Crew - Danger Zone

Cash Money & Marvelous - Where's The Party At?

Kid 'N' Play - 2 Hype

Slick Rick - The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick

Kool G. Rap & DJ Polo - Road To The Riches

Run DMC - Tougher Than Leather

There will never be another year like that again.

You got it Steve...

"89 - 90" ROCKED!!!! What went wrong beyond that, is a sad entry into the history books...

"LETS BRING THAT BEAT BACK Y'ALL"" ;)

What too young to download stuff on your own? :((

It was me who uploaded the Jaz & Jay-Z stuff... If your a lucky young man I may post some more greatness from "yester year" soon ;)

oh word, I'll check that, I haven't been on the soul seek ever since I deduced that everyone on there was nazi's and you had to trade them rare gems to get anything from them, but I'll have a look

I'll be on soulseek tomorrow again when my internet connection gets cracking again hopefully.

I'm not sure when everything came out exactly, but around 1993 i bumped:

Cypress HIll, Funkdoobiest, The Goats, Del, Tribe, De La, Black Sheep, Jungle Brothers, Gunshot, Krispy, Beatnuts, Wu-tang, Gravediggaz, Hiero, Mobb Deep, Keith Murray, Redman, Kurious Jorge, Ice Cube, Snoop, Gang Starr, the roots, heltah skelta / smiff n wessun, black moon, the pharcyde, Busta / LONS, Nas, Main Source, Masta Ace,

hiphop will never be like that again, major labels with major talent on their rostas.

up through to 96-97 was dope too.