PPL Digital DJing license- anyone heard about this

Jon

:s I found a flyer i had that said you need a license as a digital dj. as i plan to use serato whe n playing out in the future would i need one?

Has anyone experienced this before?

the www.ppluk.com website says you have to pay £235 a year to have one...... :s

There's a couple of threads about this already mate. I don't think you can legally play music from a hard drive in the UK. Also, you can't edit tracks or remix them and play those out either. It's all very gay.

yeh- this sucks..... im working all summer just to get my laptop and serato so i can play out in the way i want to, and theyre expecting me to play another 200 quid for 6 months (you have to pay at the start of the year) where i'd probably be having one gig a month- so in all i probably would not reach a profit due to this licensing law.

Fuck the license mate. How many guys do you think they've got going round checking them? Hardly any I bet.

BTW, what I said before was the wrong way round - You can use a hard drive, but you can't copy digital downloads to a CDR or minidisc and use them.

Mind you - in America I hear you will need a license to own a photocopier soon. That's how shite it's getting.

You're probably right mate, i could get away with it...but I'd never be able to pay the fine if i get caught.....

sheesh i was just reading their rules: its even illegal to record a mix using serato even if u own the lisence!

Maybe i should just get a desktop and use serato with that.

Fuck the license.

Look at it this way: how many cunts are on the road without a license, banned from driving, uninsured, untaxed, whatever. The police are HOT on these crimes, and yet 95% of the cunts get away with it.

On the other hand, who is checking DJ's? Who enforces it? I honestly don't know, but I'd imagine that big-name DJ's get regularly audited, given the cash-in-hand nature of the business. So perhaps they ought to wory. But FUCK getting any kind of license. Has ANYONE been fined for this yet??

Its illegal to play any vinyl out at a public performance as well.

The way i see it is if you have bought the track (not matter what media) and the venue has a public performance license then you are ok

LMAO Lase

Its illegal to play any vinyl out at a public performance as well.

The way i see it is if you have bought the track (not matter what media) and the venue has a public performance license then you are ok

If you take a look at the fine print on a lot of your records it'll say "not for public performance, all right reserved blah. blah. blah," basically the same shit that it says prior to a movie (in the USA its the FBI warning, I don't know about other places). Personally, I think the record companies full well realize that its a catch 22; if people/DJs don't play their records their records CAN'T get hot, but I think they just put that legal disclaimer on there in the case that somebody does something really detrimental to them they can still sue the shit out of that person and be like "WE TOLD YOU NOT TO DO THAT!"

should you be lucky enough to generate enough press that someone would actually ask to see proof of your license after your set you WILL be able to afford to pay the fine and/or pay for the license. however i highly doubt that touring dj's, resident dj's at shitty clubs and even midlevel dj's like relm who use serato are bieng asked to provide proof of licensing before they perform. the level you would need to be at to have someone give a shit if you were playing stolen tracks would be the likes of tiesto, sasha, oakenfold, A.M., Z-trip, and even though i know there is talent floating around this board, i highly doubt many have the drive to reach star status.

so really there is nothing to fear, go on stealing music and playing it for the few that might listen... the only thing someone might ask you to do after your set is play another one somwhere else.

peace