'registering' beats?

Phology

hello :)

im just curious as to how one can register their beats?

as in, all royalties and so on, are registered to your name..

i may soon be doing some stuff with a German promoter, and he is interested in my work. what he has told me is that he wants me to send him beats over the internet (or cd), he will then take them to artists and either convince them to work with me on a track, or feature my tracks on compilation albums or other things of that nature.

i have a vague knowledge about this and keep thinking of the MCPS, PPL, BPI, and so on...as they have something to do with this subject. :s

any help is great!

peace

ok...

i just spoke to someone at MCPS and sed that i dont need to join MCPS or PRS until my music has been commercially released..

and the best way to 'register' my tracks is by recorded post or sent to a lawyer and returned with a reciept (or sumthin)

If you're going down the posting to yourself route (which is a good start) you need to put your audio recording and any other items relating to the work such as scores/sequencer files etc, seal the envelopes well and sign across the seals and then post them to yourself using registered delivery not recorded.

Also if you're going to do this on a regular basis remember to make a note on the outside of the envelope about what is inside. Otherwise should you ever need it you're either going to open the envelopes and destroy your proof or turn up to court with dozens of unopened envelopes.

If you're going down the posting to yourself route (which is a good start) you need to put your audio recording and any other items relating to the work such as scores/sequencer files etc, seal the envelopes well and sign across the seals and then post them to yourself using registered delivery not recorded.

Also if you're going to do this on a regular basis remember to make a note on the outside of the envelope about what is inside. Otherwise should you ever need it you're either going to open the envelopes and destroy your proof or turn up to court with dozens of unopened envelopes.

You have to keep your recipt from the post office of the orginal package (cd music etc) and mail that to you as well! ( to prove you shiped it)

I have an album done. Dont register for publishing until you have something release and getting airplay.

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsri.pdf

That will make sure your safe. I dont think that posting to yourself will work in a court but...

The above form will cover your ass.

I dont think that posting to yourself will work in a court but...

I'm fairly sure it has stood up in the past, here in the UK anyway. It's not ideal but as a first step at proving copyright you could do a lot worse.

Remember as soon as you conceive a piece of work it is already your copyright. It's just proving that if and when the time comes around that is the problem.

I have an album done. Dont register for publishing until you have something release and getting airplay.

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsri.pdf

That will make sure your safe. I dont think that posting to yourself will work in a court but...

The above form will cover your ass.

cheers mate printing that off now!