sound cards

smyrx

i've been working with the same crappy sound card for too long, and i'm looking for something better to record my mix tapes.

i have a piece of shit dell laptop.

i was wondering if anybody knew what i should be looking at, you know suggestions and stuff. help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

A mate of mine gave me an Emu 1820 that he got at work. Is it any good?

He 'gave' you one?? - they cost about £300! I got one about a month ago - it is good but the software to set all the ins/outs, effects etc is a bit of a headfuck at first. Recording quality is really good and it sorted my midi out - I had an audigy before and there was bad latancy no matter what they advertise.

The 1616m would probably be a good choice smyrx but the m-audio ones are probably a bit cheaper and do much the same.

Nothing remotely close in the same price bracket will touch an Emu card with the M converters. Crystal clear.

I have a standard 1820 and it's great. Took a while for the drivers to get upto speed but now it's plain sailing.

The patchmix software can be a bit daunting at first, but it makes perfect sense after a while and is really powerful.