Laptop for 600 quid

x2k

Yo, I gotta order a laptop for 600 quid, I've not been following hardward or prices for a few while now so I've gotta do a bit of research.

Anyway, anyone know of any good deals around that sort of price range???

Thanks.

PS, I know it's a bit late but, Merry Christmas ya cunts!

If you're going new, look at Acer notebooks. Good value and well built. They use the same standard chassis as many other manufaturers, so the mouldings etc. are very well tooled, nicely put together.

If you're not adverse to a second hand unit, check out the P4-M based devices. I'm sitting at one myself right now. There's a lot of shit talked about them IMO -the P4 is wholly unsuitable for notebooks, but the P4-M is very fast and consumes very little power. They'e now often overlooked in favour of the Pentium-M which have become incredibly popular as part of 'Centrino' packages.

I would strongly advise AGAINST getting a system based around a Turion64 (or any other AMD chip). My girlfriend has one and, granted, it is fast -although not that much faster than my P4-M; but suffers from very high power drain. My girlfriend's laptop has a similar spec with slightly poorer graphics chipset and an identically specified battery (4400mAH I think), but lasts about 1.5hrs compared to over 3hrs for my notebook.

Mine cost £380 with a case on eBay. When I picked it up, the battery had done 38 cycles which is nothing, really. Very good value for money IMO.

If you want the lappy to survive longer. Whenver you have it on a table try to prop it up with something. I usually use a book or something. It increases the air circulation, and also turn the thing off. These arent like desktops where leaving it on is ok, when you are not using it turn it off or put it on standby. Oh another tip is when your at home and you have it plugged in just take out the battery, youll save the some battery life doing that.

i am in severe desperate need of a new computer/laptop!

my laptop is dead as steve well knows! lol! so at the moment im using my brothers computer. the only trouble is that he is a cunt! he bought himself a new computer and gave away the family computer. no mjor problem, i can live with that but the worst thing is he has password protected the bugger and now i can only get on if he leaves it on and isnt using it! to make matters worse he has hijacked the internet and run the only cable in the house from the router up the outside of the house and in through his window!

is there any shifty programs that will allow me to put a back door on this machine of his so i can use it without knowing his passwords?!

• 3 weeks later...
Have a look on eBuyer.com mate. They have some great deals and I bet they can beat Comet.

Having a look now, Comet wouldn't be my first (second or third) choice normally, I just found that via kelkoo and it looked appealing.