Recommend some DJ headphones to me

Steve

They turned up today: -

http://i.imgur.com/hFG4F.jpg

I like them, but they seem a bit bassy for my taste. Great packaging. Great build quality. I've only used them for 20 minutes though, so I need some more time with them before I make my mind up about the sound, plus they probably need to break in a bit.

All of my mixes are "coming soon", Rock. :p

Funny you should say that... for the last 10 years I've been working on a project that will rock the very fabric of musical society to it's core...

Also "Coming Soon" - watch this space mate... assuming I don't outlive you, you could well be in for a real treat when it's finished. :d

yeh Steve, they do take abit of 'breaking in' and getting used to, theres definitely an added bass but i like that.

With older albums/tracks that were mastered before the "loudness wars" kicked in, they sound great. Really clear and quite well balanced, although I've not got the best ears to judge that - they sound good anyway. I was listening to some Stevie Wonder and an old EPMD album and the sound quality was fantastic. The sound isolation is very good too. They really bring out the bass in more recent music though and I think it's just a tad over-powering. Then again, my powered monitors are weak when it comes to bass and the Sennheiser headphones I use every day aren't that bassy either, so perhaps I've just become accustomed to the way those sound.

@Rock - My 1,000 track multi-genre multi-tracked mix should be done soon too. :d But being serious, I really wish I could get my health sorted out, cos when "feeling like dog shit" is the norm it affects your motivation to do things.

Yeah, I can understand that. I was mostly mocking my own efforts... that, and I do really like your multitrack stuff I've heard. Actually, one of the best and most inspiring articles I've ever read online about DJing was on djtechtools by some bloke called Sigma. Ever since reading that, I been nagging myself to properly learn a DAW or wave editor that deals with linear audio tracks so I can bite your moves.

Cool man, thanks. The DJ TechTools article was unfortunately misinterpreted by quite a few people as a "how to polish up your shit live mix" tutorial.

And these headphones have broken already. The sound only comes out of one earpiece. I've tried both cables and different sources, but it's the same. :(

• 3 weeks later...

AIAIAI coughed up for the return shipping no problem when I asked them, which was good because it cost £29 to send them back!

The new pair arrived today and they're fine. It's kinda worked out in my favour, cos when I returned the other set I only had to return the actual headphones, so now I have 2 boxes, 2 lots of cables etc.

Cool man, thanks. The DJ TechTools article was unfortunately misinterpreted by quite a few people as a "how to polish up your shit live mix" tutorial.

And these headphones have broken already. The sound only comes out of one earpiece. I've tried both cables and different sources, but it's the same. :(

I read they are not well constructed. A shame since they look nice... esp the Fools Gold edition.

• 7 months later...

Jimmy was kind of in the same boat as you I think when he got the AIAIAIAIAI ones but ended up with some HD-25s about six months later.

I got my Mk1 HD-25s secondhand about 12 years ago and have used them almost every day since... DJing, scratch practice, production, watching TV on my laptop, you name it, they do it. Three times a week they get bundled into a bag to got to the studio or school and a few years back I was out gigging most weekends so they seen their fair share of clubs, pubs, outdoor sound systems, smokey rooms and all the other places they tell you not to use electrical goods, plus my girlfriend likes nothing more than disrespecting my belongings. In this time I've replaced the cable once, the ear pads twice and the head band pads once, but mine were well used when they came to me and at least you can replace parts, plus I'm still on the original drivers so they haven't quite reached Trigger's broom status yet.

I can't comment on price cos my mate used to work in the BBC equipment warehouse and robbed them for me... but I'd pay that bit extra if needed. You'll get more than 11 months out of them.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Right now I'm looking for some decent and not too expensive headphones for deejaying at home.

I used to have these before and they were good while they lasted: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphones-Lightweight-headset-SENNHEISER-Black/dp/B004D8N0IE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404830458&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+407

But one side doesn't work anymore, so I'm looking for some new ones. I don't want to spend much more than about 40 pounds and they shouldn't be closed or too heavy and should be sturdy enough to withstand my habit of letting them fall on the ground every few days. I don't care too much about the sound. Just something robust and light-weight (yeah I know: MAKE UP YOUR MIND!). Any advice? :)

Hello Rockwell, I've followed your advice but as it turns out, the cord was firmly attached to the playback device of the store so my getaway only took me 1.8 meters far and straight into jail. As these are my only five minutes on the police computer, I'd like to ask you if you could be my attorney for the trial. Also, is it Dr. Rockwell or Dr. Rock Well? The judge needs to know in advance.

REALLY hope to hear from you soon.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

Beats by dre! Come on... DR DRE hand makes every pair and you instantly get his producer skills, money and all the ladies from his videos. Bargain!

• Like 2