UK portablism sources? (flesh one & record cutting)

Rodrigo

Are there any places that carry flresh one bits in the UK?

I've got a gaggle of bits I want to order (ultrapitch, start/stop, tone arm, platter rods, etc...) and it'd be so much better/faster to get them locally.

Also, does anyone know of any companies that can cut down records from 12" to 7"?

I've got some Ms Pinky records on the way (thanks go a very kind and generous forum member!), and I want to cut one down to 7" for my pt01, and even though I'm quite DIY handy, I'd be scared to fuck up the record.

Edited by Rodrigo
  • Like 1

Guest rasteri

Not that I'm aware of. Flesh says he doesn't really ship outside the USA because it's too much hassle.

I think Ruftone should start stocking flesh stuff, he'd make a killing.

• Like 1

Yeah that makes sense. Thankfully I have some family in the US so I can eventually ship some stuff to them and then have them ship it over, but that's also a bit of a pain too.

Any thoughts on cutting down a record?

• Like 2

On a side note a possible variation to this method could be made by using a decent scroll saw with variable cutting speeds if you have access to one- although its also relatively inexpensive to hire one from a tool shop

(Dont forget to purchase some safety glasses while your there though kids ! )

• Like 2

I saw that vid and thought about it, but given I only have two records I wouldn't want to fuck one up.

If it comes down to it I'll give it a spin, but hoping to avoid it by getting someone who has done it before. (I've read the cut down serato records look like real records)

Simple trick for this, screw the bugger to a big piece of wood, trust me, when that hot blade goes in to the vinyl, the only way you are fucking it up is if the record moves off its pivot point, otherwise the blade is going to follow the least resistance, and that is round and round.

You can even screw it in to a piece of wood, and then clamp the blade so you aren't holding it, then just turn the record slowly.

Crap, have i just given away a design that could be built with a cheap ass gas soldering iron and sold to portablists for £200

DOH

• Like 4

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

I believe I've read somewhere to use a very sharp knife, score the outline off the 7 inch on both sides of the records and then to simultaneously alternative carve each side away. This so you can get a clean break and snap it away instead of chopping and hacksawing it you way through it with a knife for the next 6 months.

I've seen a video at some point of some guys doing it. They used 2 big circular wood pieces to secure the vinyl in between, then proceeded to grind down the excess of the vinyl. Not sure if that's a 'milling machine' setup or not, but it seemed like a sure way to not fuck up your record.

Also, Google turned up this http://seven-inches.uk/shop/

Maybe they can help you out with the ms pinky resizing?

• Like 3

Got a hot-knife at Michael's craft store for $17, and it works.

Be sure to put something soft under the record you're cutting, so as not to scratch it, and hold the knife still and turn the record, pushing it in a clockwise motion, against the fattest part of the knife blade.

Takes about 5 minutes to cut a 12 down to 10 or 9 or whatever.

• Like 1

Did mine on lathe at work took about 20 seconds , put wood plate on lathe , turn centre dowel , put record on screwed washer onto centre sjuper glued outside of wastage on record , sharp tool , done , 20 seconds !

Would you be willing to do another? ;)

• 2 months later...