Shut 'em down - Pete Rock remix

doppelkorn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_d4fWZpB4

Widely considered one of if not the best remix of all time I've never really liked it. I'm not just saying this to bitch or moan or be contentious. Basically the original is probably one of my favourite Public Enemy songs. It's got a really relentless, punchy beat which is stripped to just drums, heavy, raw bass and a really occasional piano riff, oh and some scratches. It's a polmeic and Chuck D shouts, he doesn't rhyme. He's angry and every line is a rant slammed home by the beat.

The remix is indeed a dope-ish beat. Funky and smooth but it doesn't go at all with the message of the song or the BAM BAM BAM of the beat. It's a chilled sax and some vocal going "woooo" like Will Smith. I swear you can almost hear someone say "a-grand groove grand groove"! I guess maybe for its time it was a groundbreaking bit of beatmaking in terms of what it sounded like, I dunno, but it's not a patch on the original I think.

If you disagree don't just say "Pete Rock is a god. End of.". Like I say I'm not trying to piss people off I genuinely don't think this is that good a remix at all for the reasons stated above.

Yet again Mike you amaze me,it's as if your trying to dislike all the big tunes and only like odd stuff.

I know the isn't true as i know you,But The original version of 'Shut em Down' is boring maybe its because you wasn't around at the time i just don't know.

I think you're right Matt pretty much all the music I like I'm coming at from a different angle 10, 20 or 30 years later. I reckon this does have an effect on what I like.

When this remix came out what was the feeling then?

I prefered the original version at the time too. I remember buying, Apocalypse '91on cassette from "Our Price" records .. so I guess that puts me in the Grandad category!

I thought the horn part on the Pete Rock remix quite monotous.I loved PE stuff but It was my first introduction to Pete Rock.. it took me a while before i realised how good Pete Rock was . I supppose the remix shows what was pioneering about pete rocks style - the multilayered sampling has a much more soulful edge than the bomb squads multilayered noise approach.

Edited by Mike-L